Donor Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I've decided that my next project bike definitely has to be a tall bike. I've got to have/make one of my own. Having said that, I'm kind of at a loss for where to find my donor bikes from. Ideally I'd like to find the free stuff like many folks do, but I'm not really sure where to start. Garage sales? Bike shops? I've looked at these places and seem to keep turning up empty. I find lots of 'Walmart' bikes in these places which would be perfect, but even the Wally World cheap bikes are almost all made of aluminum.

Any thoughts/ideas on where I can look would be great - I'm determined!!

Thanks,
Tim

Thrift stores, Goodwill and Salvation Army, also churches sometimes have second hand stores.

If i were you i would check Flea-Markets and the ratty looking garage sales, those are always the cheapest, and even check dumpsters, i was lucky enough to find a late sixties sears 24'' cruiser in one. It was in rough shape but with a bit of sandpaper and alot of elbow grease, it got looking real good.

Post ad on craigslist in the bike or wanted section asking for free bikes, make sure to mention you will be using them for bikes and not scrap.

If you use Facebook or Twitter put out a note to all your friends/followers that you are looking for unwanted bikes.

If you go to church, put the word out that you are looking for bikes to use as projects, people will bring you their junk.

All of these have worked for me.

Don't forget antique stores, I just bought a really cheap bike at one. Some antique stores also deal in "junk."

Sweet - thanks for all the leads guys! I'm going to start with posting an ad on CL and then hit up the Goodwill and maybe drive by a couple of garage sales...

banks412 said:
Sweet - thanks for all the leads guys! I'm going to start with posting an ad on CL and then hit up the Goodwill and maybe drive by a couple of garage sales...

Or you could get really desperate like me and figure out the trash pick-up schedule around town and drive around in the evenings checking for stuff people are throwing out. Of course, in this town the city picks up ALL trash, so people will throw out ANYTHING by the curb, you just have to be the first one to get to it.

Back