Does anyone know what year this Torpedo is?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this Torpedo but there is no serial number on it anywhere. Can anyone identify what year it might be?
IMG_0134.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That bike was made by Columbia, and the serial number will be on the left dropout. Their numbers were small and lightly stamped so it's hard to see at first. I have a list that shows what year by the number.
1683857496884.png

I appreciate the help very much from a member who helped identify the year of my Torpedo as 1957. I'm just confused by the numbers on the Columbia serial numbers chart. The serial number on my bike is: C154030. The chart says: 1956: C5001 and C105020. Then for 1957 it says: C105021 and C288230. I just wondered if someone could explain this? Thanks.

Instead of starting a new set of numbers with the new year, Columbia decided to keep the sequence going into the next year. Most bike companies began the new year back at zero. Why they did that is a mystery to me, they didn't stop at a certain large number to begin the next letter.

Instead of starting a new set of numbers with the new year, Columbia decided to keep the sequence going into the next year. Most bike companies began the new year back at zero. Why they did that is a mystery to me, they didn't stop at a certain large number to begin the next letter.
Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it.

Back