Do you bid on stuff on eBay that you don't need or can't buy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ugh, sometimes I'm just looking at stuff on eBay, not really looking to buy and I get caught up in the gambling aspect of it. Sometimes I see things that have just been posted and it's got a low first bid and I just bid *knowing* that someone else will come along and outbid me, I just like to get things rolling you know?

I've accidentally won auctions this way before, and I'm hoping it's not about to happen again.

I was looking at BMX stems a couple days ago, looking for some ideas so looking for those old stems that had like a plate and 2 separate bar clamps, they look very motocross. And I happened upon this freshly posted Murray made chrome BMX frame, fork, and stem. The opening bid was $20 and the shipping was $15, so I went ahead and bid on it knowing that someone else would...

Not yet... I know there are 2 days left, but I'm sweating, I don't need this thing! Who wants to bid $21 on this thing and ease my suffering?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-School-BMX- ... 6774173%26

And people wonder why stuff gets bid up, with people that can't even pay up.

I bid cause I can pay up.

abe lugo said:
And people wonder why stuff gets bid up, with people that can't even pay up.

I bid cause I can pay up.

I can handle $35, but I just knew someone would bid by now! haha

If I get stuck with it, I'll pay and leave good feedback, and probably end up giving the bike away! haha

I normally just set the auto bidder to my maximum if I'm really interested and I know I can double my money if I get stuck with it. So far I've never gotten stuck with anything I didn't want. Most times though I will wait till the last two seconds and throw in a bid and either win it or jack the price sky high. I remember once bidding on a rare carb for a Honda express sr moped I needed, it was going for $20 till I jumped in at the last minute and set my auto bid to $75, I got outbid but somebody paid up for it. I bet the guy was ticked when he saw the bid jump $55 bucks in a few seconds. :mrgreen:

Back when they had user name exposed there used to be someone with the user name BMW201 or some such, dude was getting what seemed like every bike part I wanted. After awhile, whenever I saw his ID in the bidding, I just started bidding stuff up even on stuff I didn't really want knowing he would pay ridiculous prices. Only sweated a one or two.

Haha I never bid on stuff I can't buy..stuff I don't need?..well that's a different matter :lol: I've bid and won lots of stuff I don't need because I MIGHT need it later?!. I usually set my limit before I start bidding then bang it in at the last second or so as I watch the count down, that's about as exciting as my life gets :oops: . If it's something I really, really want (unless there's a buy it now price) I'll put a bid in really early. Especially if I think the seller has set his price too low and I feel he deserves a better deal? Although I once won a reconditioned alternator for my car for .99p! I felt really bad about that as they don't come up for sale often.

Bid on stuff I don't need? Sure, I don't need any of this stuff. Want, however, is a more subjective matter. OTOH, I don't bid on things that I can't afford. No point in that, although I do frequently add things I have no intention of bidding on to my watch list, so that I can see how much it sells for and whereby I'll completely forget to watch what happened to it...

expjawa said:
.. I do frequently add things I have no intention of bidding on to my watch list, so that I can see how much it sells for and whereby I'll completely forget to watch what happened to it...

That's another thing that I do haha. My watch list is frequently full, so I have to go through deleting the crap that I was watching (and forgot about) to make way for more! :lol:

As a seller on ebay i get " dream bidders " here and there or people who bid with no way to pay and it use to be a pain but now they added a second chance options where i can offer the item to the second highest bidder or any other person that bid. Very helpfull options if you ask me !!!

Look on the positive side...you got a nice looking frame :wink: At least I think so :D

SO IT'S YOU! Quit bidding at the first minute, wait until the last minute, buy low.
I don't bid just to, but my daughter does, drives me crazy, had to change my password so microsoft would quit helping her into my account.........Right now the girl has 3 pokemons waiting for her to catch up with chores to own......

mikeeebikey said:
SO IT'S YOU! Quit bidding at the first minute, wait until the last minute, buy low.
I don't bid just to, but my daughter does, drives me crazy, had to change my password so microsoft would quit helping her into my account.........Right now the girl has 3 pokemons waiting for her to catch up with chores to own......

LOL I had a guys kid do the same, i told him it was fine and we can just work it out but he said nah I'm going to get it so I can have the kid get some stuff done around the house lol ! I threw in a extra toy for him =)

did you win the auction? hahahah :lol:
or did you get saved in the last seconds?
:mrgreen:

I checked, and I could not have withdrawn the bid 2 days ago unless the seller drastically changed the description or something to that nature.

I'll never understand bidding on something until the final minute or so. It just drives the price up. Everyone wait till the final 60 secs, place yourmax bid and best man wins.

Latest posts

Back