Do they make an actual 22mm seatpost?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am having a hard time finding a 22mm seatpost.

Here is my dilemma:

I found an old school 26" BMX frame, that was obviously custom made in the late 70's/early 80's. The seatpost tube measures exactly 22mm.

Here are the seatpost diameters that do not fit- 22.2mm, 7/8", and 13/16".

What I am looking for is a 22mm, based on my micrometer reading, seatpost. Does this exist, before I start the machining process either on an existing seatpost or the seatpost tube?

Thanks for any info.

Bring it to a bike shop and have them hone it out a little.

Are you sure the clamp area isn't just pinched a little?

Lugisland said:
Got any pictures of the frame? :shock:

Well since you asked, here is the unidentifiable beast I am trying to fit a seatpost to. I have posted this here before, and no one on any BMX site is able to ID it:

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

DSC01163.jpg

DSC01164.jpg

DSC01165.jpg

DSC01166.jpg

DSC01167.jpg

DSC01168.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

it should be a 7/8 post, try spreading the slot under the clamp with a big screwdriver and I bet a 7/8 post slides right in.. :roll:

Awesome looking frame!! :)

I am having a problem finding a seatpost for my Murray cruiser. I have the old one & want to replace it, but it measures 20.1mm. I've checked just about every LBS with no luck. I was thinking about having some aluminum round stock machined down.

The very first 3/4 of the seatpost tube takes a 7/8" or a 22mm, but after that, it is very tight to a point of no more movement. I even have taken a hone that is used to hone out old school auto drum brake cylinders, and honed out the seatpost tube to no avail.

scrumblero said:
it should be a 7/8 post, try spreading the slot under the clamp with a big screwdriver and I bet a 7/8 post slides right in.. :roll:

is it possible thats a homemade frame? it sure looks plenty stout! 8)

Genius! Why didn't I think of that? I was too wrapped up in trying to decide on where and how to make a new post. I think I may have to go this route. Thanks.
:D
gowjobs said:
If it were me, I think I'd run a 13/16" post with a shim to 7/8 at the top.

That's a sweet frame! I have no idea what it would be but looks like whoever made it knew what they were doing.

Back