Do I need a sissy bar with a banana seat?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edh, Here is how I did the seat on my Gasser.

Seat%20detail_zpsmxl1qvbw.jpg

The seat post is part of an old Schwinn handlebar. I welded a small plate on the end so the seat clamp could not slip off. Also I welded steel flat bar over the chainstays to mount the sissy bar to.
Hope this helps you.

Thanks.
getting access to a welder again may be tricky as I would need to get the bike in to work. I was thinking of some sort of u shaped piece on the bottom of the bars to slip over both the chainstays and out it through to make it tight. Either that or borrowing a drill and drilling a hole in the dropout plates

Yeah, the front end gets a bit light on steepish ramps already. Though I won't be sitting any further back, my bum just won't overhang the back anymore

I just thought I would say, thank you for your kind responses to my (most probably) stupid and possibly repetitive questions, I spoke to the local bike shop and the mechanic said that I should have enough thread to clamp the sissy bar under the wheel nut which makes life easy. I did scrounge up a longer axle from a multigear bike but I won't know if the thread is the compatible until I get back to camp (where the bike is).

The tube clamp is already at the front, if I flip it I will push the seat further forwards.
I will need to see what happens with the lay back post and banana seat, if one or the other doesn't work out I have an old indi 500 three speed that would benefit from one or the other.

The tube clamp is already at the front, if I flip it I will push the seat further forwards.
I will need to see what happens with the lay back post and banana seat, if one or the other doesn't work out I have an old indi 500 three speed that would benefit from one or the other.
Cool, I wasn't sure by the photo....

Luke.

No worries, I hope I didn't sound too abrupt, I have put a backwards slope on the current saddle which helps as the back of the seat doesn't stick up into my bum but I still overhang it.

I have made up 2 support bars out of DIN rail, I 2 as looking round at what we have laying about and it seemed perfect, it is slotted too so I drilled out the lower 5 slots to 10.5mm which will give me height adjustment and I have left the rest of the slots standard at around 6-8 mm which should be fine for bolting the seat too, I will just need to see if it is uncomfortable (I.e.digging into me)

Back