disk brake adjustment questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mtb im working on has promax mechanical discs. ive looked just about everywhere for info on how to adjust them, but it seems promax doesnt exist on the web. ive been playing oround with them, but if someone could tell me how to do it right it would save me time. my calipers seem different than anything else ive found. this is my first time with discs, im kinda in the dark.

What year are these brakes, any pics. I seem to remember some old promax not having any pad adjustment. What exactly are you trying to do with them?

theyre on an '06 mongoose, the pads are round, very similar to hayes bb5. there is a red knob on one side, and a deal like setting valve lash on the other side. i gotta learn how to put pics on here, havent tried yet. i just want to adjust them properly, not just so they kinda work. my first try with discs. ive read the park tool article, and i drool over their site regularly. ill reread it, just thought somebody here would havesame calipers as me.

So, I'll try to help. it is my guess that the inside pad does not move. You want to have your cable clamped down with the actuating arm all the way back and with no slack in the cable. Then turn in your inside pad all the way until it just touches your disc, now adjust your outside pad until it touches the disc. Ok, great. Now with the inside pad adjustment turn it out til you have maybe 2-3 mil. between it and the disc, then turn out the outside pad til theres maybe 3-4 mil. between the disc. And at this point your lever pull may be very short and "touchy", you can adjust this by letting out the outside pad some more. Check your rotor also to make sure it is as true as possible, if not, you can usually just take it off and bang it on the concrete til its flat or take your wheel into an LBS and they can true it up for you.

Hope this helps.

thanks guys, i think i got it figured out after rereading some psts and with your help. my first try musta made it so far out of whack, thats what caused my problems. coulda left it alone, but then i wouldnt have learned anything. i appreciate the help, theres no lbs in my town.

Back