"desert car kings" epic fail!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On an episode I was waching on a rerun, they had a 65 barracuda in the shop. They were tearing it down, ad one guy ran his mouth and said "its no too Often you get one of these with a v8 in it." then, in the next shot, they show the engine compartment. And guess what's in there? A slant six! You can plainly see The intake manifold and everything! It's kind of agrivating. My dad (who's a big mopar nut) blew a 50 amp fuse when he seen that. I was wondering if anyone else noticed that?

Didn't catch that episode, as most of these shows a B.S. anyway, but your Dad sounds just like mine. He always catches every little car related mistake on shows and movies. Mopar slant 6's are good running mills tho.

Exactaly, my dad and I are restoring his 67(?) Gtx together, and its got a 440 super commando in it. Really solid body, but theres nothing left of the floorpans. He bought it used when he was fifteen, for 250$! I'm lucky I got my dakota for 900...

I guess everything has it's achilles heel. And another thing.surprised the the heck out of me. We lifted the entire 440 and the transmission out of the gtx, by two little 1/4 inch bolts and a log chain, with the skid loader! I had no idea how strong those little bolts were...

charliechaindrive said:
I guess everything has it's achilles heel. And another thing.surprised the the heck out of me. We lifted the entire 440 and the transmission out of the gtx, by two little 1/4 inch bolts and a log chain, with the skid loader! I had no idea how strong those little bolts were...

Yeah I guess every vehicle has it's faults. My Fords all had carb problems or transmission issues, my GM's all had electrical issues, My Toyotas had frame rust issues or clutch issues, my Mopars either had rusty floors or the motors were too powerful for the frame to handle. My Dodge Diplomat broke the motor mounts 3 times till I finally made my own, and my International got really bad mileage but considering it was built like a Sherman tank that was to be expected. Only vehicles I really didn't have any major problems out of were my Mercedes 240D Diesel (wrecked), my VW Rabbit pickup Diesel (sold...biggest mistake of my life), and my Toyota King cab (frame rusted in half), all of which lived to over 500,000 miles.

Dang! 500,000? That's a heck of a lot. Even though they rust out kinda bad (or so I've been told) ireally want to find an earlier international scout, they're neat little truck/car things. Either that, I want to get my hands on my cousin's amc reble "the machine". That's a nice car. Or, a 60 plymouth fury. gotta love the fins :D

I just caught another epic fail on American Pickers, episode "the belly dance" where he picks the toy rifle the guy paid $4 for... Mike says it had a bolt action from a real gun... It's clearly a rusty door lock slider. :roll: Frank was right he did need glasses :oops:

not to be a toppper...lol

I too saw a mistake. This time on Storage Wars. They roll up the doors showing a bunch of boxes, then back to the bidders, who now have started to bid. However when they pan back to the locker, the boxes are now open! :roll: oopps!!!!

-FW

You mean to tell me that REALITY TV shows aren't REAL?
What next? At least I still have PROFESSIONAL wrestling to fall back on.
Whooooooo!

I'm curious as where in the blazes all these random links are cropping up at, are people purposely putting them in? Because, it seems like if you wright ebay, it automaticly links you to the ebay home page...

See? It did it again!

Not to mention the civil war belt buckle with the bullet in it that was on American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Cajun Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, and was fake, real, and real but falsely embellished. They can't even agree on that. :roll:

Oh I remember that. That stupid beltbuckle made more trips around the history channel than a nascar at the daytona 500. That's why I've kind of gave up on tv an usualy use it for background noise when I'm reading. My last tv shot sparks out of the back when I turned it on :shock: so, I'm going to stick with my radio and vynal collection for now.

Back on topic... I cant even watch "Desert car kings" anymore because the whole thing is just a complete FAIL. They ""restore"" these cars then run them thru a salvage auction. woop de doo.

Their restoration skills leave MUCH to be desired. they just need to stick with their original business plan of just being a salvage yard. The owner and his son, arent looking to properly "restore" anything since they tend to put the least amount of money into a project just to try and flip it for a profit.

I wouldnt want them touching ANY classic iron.

Ratfink1962 said:
Back on topic... I cant even watch "Desert car kings" anymore because the whole thing is just a complete FAIL. They ""restore"" these cars then run them thru a salvage auction. woop de doo.

Their restoration skills leave MUCH to be desired. they just need to stick with their original business plan of just being a salvage yard. The owner and his son, arent looking to properly "restore" anything since they tend to put the least amount of money into a project just to try and flip it for a profit.

I wouldnt want them touching ANY classic iron.

Amen to that.

I'd much rather buy a classic car in project form and take pride in building it myself in my own way. Then you get to show off YOUR work and custom touches.

On the Desert car kings thing, from a business standpoint doing a proper restoration is 90% of the time going to cost more than the car would be worth when it's done...especially when you factor in paying for labor by the hour. So I can see why he would just do a 20/20 restoration. (20 feet away at 20mph, it looks good)

Latest posts

Back