Deglossing/stripping chrome

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to find a prior thread on how to degloss or strip chrome to prepare for paint, but I came up empty. Any insights on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

anti-chrome

I've done a couple of ways....60or 80 grit wet sand "sand paper", and sand blasting, iff there is a chem stripper or etcher I'd like to know :|

Thanks guys.

Outsider, just for my own clarification - please explain what you mean by wet sanding. Special sandpaper and a bucket of water? Is this done as a final prep before finish coat of paint too? I'm going to rattle can the bike and want to do it right the first time...

By the way, found access to a sandblaster and it worked like a charm.
Thanks again, Rich

If I may answer on outsiders behalf..

Wet sanding is when you use Sand paper with grit between
800 to 2000 grit.
You sand it with Wet Sand Paper and do just that..
I usually have a Garden hose running slowly..with The end taped off so
you don't scratch the surface...and sand away..

Wet sanding is usually done between coats on High End
Automotive Paint Work.

It is also a good way of removing dry overspray from a surface.

hope this helped hotdoggin,

peace,
Kev.

Thanks Kev.

I'll have to keep an eye out for 800 to 2000 grit paper. Last question - should I do this after priming and each coat of finish?

Oops, I lied. One more question - What clear coat do you recommend, because I believe I remember reading about you guys using a clear protective finish coat.

Thanks again, one and all. Good night for now.

Thanx Kev, I shoud'nt daydream while typing out a reply :? ...also that type of sand paper [auto body type] has a material back and not " paper" and lasts a lot longer :mrgreen:

..Prime
..intermediate coat, which is the color coat, and if your
using a Gloss Spraybomb..that's all you need.
..Then Clear coat.

Wet sand after you build the clear up or you may knock the color
off The Base..

what the heck are yaa Painting..? :mrgreen:

Most finishes can be done with a quick primer coat on the bare metal,
The a few good finish coats with DuPlacoat, Krylon, etc. in the color of your
choice..

The clears are usually only when your doing and automotive
type finish like Candy coats, metal flakes..and a top coat to protect
a finish.

hope this helped..
Kev.

$1 an oz. Dupont Etch Primer, just clean off the chrome, and the rough it up a little bit with a scotchpad.

etchprimer.jpg

With my build-off bike I wet-sanded the chrome (some parts were really good, others so rusty there was barely any chrome left...). Worked out just fine. Cleaned it with thinner and sprayed flat-black right over it.
Not the official way to go, I admit, but uptill now it sticks very good. But ofcourse it scratches quite easily.

Before that I was looking for a way to get rid of the chrome, and I found this
(Haven't tried it (yet) though):

You need a bath to get the whole object under water. Attach a negative clamp of a battery-loader to the object, and the positive clamp to a big piece of copper-pipe or plate, that's also in the bath. (Don't get the clamps wet, they might get eaten by the liquid). Add some acid to the water, (don't know what kind, vinegar might be enough) to allow the current to flow through the water. 6 to 12 Volts @ 3 to 4 Amps should be good. Check every half hour :eek:
The chrome should 'leave' the object and attach to the copper.

If anyone has something to add, or has experience with this kind of chrome removal, I'd like to hear for future dechromization actions :D

Back