Definition of Terms??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been recommending this site to friends like crazy lately and most of them have even less knowledge about bikes than I do. Hard to believe. I have been asked questions about some terms that are used and have been able to answer, but it made me wonder if there is a glossary of terms somewhere? Most like Klunker, Fixie and such can usually be figured out by context. What are the terms you like that confuse and frighten your friends, family and acquaintances?

Agreed, I've been hanging around since center last year and I've seen several I'm unsure of. To besure, is a fix it a single glee speed with coaster brake?

"Fixie" is slang for a fixed gear bicycle- a bicycle having a direct drive, single cog drivetrain. Turn the cranks forward, the rear wheel goes forward. Turn the cranks backwards, the wheel goes backwards. No coasting, no internal mechanism for braking.

I often hear the term "fixed gear" mistakenly used as a synonym for single speed by customers. Fixies are single speeds, but not all single speeds are fixies. ;-)

"Fixie" is slang for a fixed gear bicycle- a bicycle having a direct drive, single cog drivetrain. Turn the cranks forward, the rear wheel goes forward. Turn the cranks backwards, the wheel goes backwards. No coasting, no internal mechanism for braking.

I often hear the term "fixed gear" mistakenly used as a synonym for single speed by customers. Fixies are single speeds, but not all single speeds are fixies. ;-)
Thanks Bendex, I'm one of the ones who thought a Fixie was a single speed that would coast..peddeling backwards would be braking...thanks for clearing that up for me.

BART

What shall we consider a Sturmey-Archer S3X hub, or an AW that's been converted to a non-freewheeling 2 speed?

A mistake? :)

Yes, I should have said Fixies were 'typically' single speeds. ;-)

What shall we consider a Sturmey-Archer S3X hub, or an AW that's been converted to a non-freewheeling 2 speed?
A good reason to have handbrakes?

Back