Decoding a Higgins Serial Number

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a site or a way to figure out what this bike is.
It's a Higgins, 24", girls bike. I just wanna know the year.

502 459304 503751

The #4 in red, may be a "4" a "9" a "1" or just a burly scratch.

Art, the only tool we have for this is old Sears catalogs. There's a book with copies of 1933-65 catalog pages, known as the Elgin/JC Higgins/Hawthorne book. 4593 sounds like a typical cat. #, and usually that's what the second set of numbers includes. They had some 4590 series numbers in 1951, and again in 58, but I couldn't find your exact number. EDIT: Just saw the pics in the Gallery, and it's a 58 or newer Flight/Spaceliner style frame. They generally stopped using the JC Higgins name after 1963, but that chainguard is more typical on mid 60s Sears bikes, though it was used on earlier Murray bikes, since they built most JCH's for Sears. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
Art, the only tool we have for this is old Sears catalogs. There's a book with copies of 1933-65 catalog pages, known as the Elgin/JC Higgins/Hawthorne book. 4593 sounds like a typical cat. #, and usually that's what the second set of numbers includes. They had some 4590 series numbers in 1951, and again in 58, but I couldn't find your exact number. EDIT: Just saw the pics in the Gallery, and it's a 58 or newer Flight/Spaceliner style frame. They generally stopped using the JC Higgins name after 1963, but that chainguard is more typical on mid 60s Sears bikes, though it was used on earlier Murray bikes, since they built most JCH's for Sears. -Adam

Yeah, I totally concur and it is definatly a Murray built bike and id bet its between a 60' and a 63'. Nice paint work by the way.

Hmmm, looking at my serial number on the bottom bracket I see:

MOSR
IOU 502 502 286

Again, the red "I" is a guess but I am pretty sure about the "OU"

Any ideas?

mmbackpacker said:

MOSR
IOU 502 502 286

Any ideas?
Hmmm. Normallly, it's 'MOD 502' together, but I've seen a few MOS stamped bikes also, all Murray Ohio codes, 'R' is thought to be 1959. 286 is the Sears model #, those are not decodeable by the book. Someone on the Cabe forum typed his numbers at the Sears parts direct site, and found a '63 date on the parts lists. I looked one up on there, but no dates.-Adam

Rustinkerer said:
mmbackpacker said:

MOSR
IOU 502 502 286

Any ideas?
Hmmm. Normallly, it's 'MOD 502' together, but I've seen a few MOS stamped bikes also, all Murray Ohio codes, 'R' is thought to be 1959. 286 is the Sears model #, those are not decodeable by the book. Someone on the Cabe forum typed his numbers at the Sears parts direct site, and found a '63 date on the parts lists. I looked one up on there, but no dates.-Adam

Thanks Adam, took another look (it was dusk last night and rainy so I didn't take my time like I should have).

yes, it is "MOD 502" and not "iou 502".

Tried the Sears parts direct website, nada, but that would have been cool! Always makes you wonder if there is a brand spanky new in the packaging tank sitting in the corner of some warehouse somewhere...

At any rate:
IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

Murray serial numbers for Sear bikes appear to follow more than one defining pattern. Much of what has been offered up to date for decoding the numbers is based on counting backward from the serial numbers attached to 1960’s bikes and using the information on the bottom bracket to divine a catalog number that will reference the bike in the Sears Consumer catalogs.

I have been working in the other direction starting with the Murray produced Elgins from the late 1930’s and looking for patterns that can date Murray built Sears bicycles into the 50’s.

In a nutshell it appears that both patterns work but the two systems are mutually exclusive and it is not clear yet when the system was changed.

Your bike appears to be one with a three-digit model number (286) that was used in Sears literature to define the bike model but does not appear in the Consumer catalogs. There is literature that relates these numbers to the model and year(s) of production but little of it is in the public domain. The R in the code does appear to be a year code but until more bikes are recorded it is not possible to be sure what year it represents (A simple alphabet/year count does not allow for missing letters)

While a specific answer as to the date of your bike is not available on line, (Though Leon Dixon at the NBHAA might be able to date the bike by the serial number alone as he has more knowledge and literature than virtually anyone else in the hobby) I would guess that your bike is from about 51-52-53 based on my decoding to date of the early numbers. I have recorded two R code bikes so far, both model 283’s with serial numbers higher than yours.

My interpretation for these bikes would be: Murray built, all from the same year (R), two different catalog models; 283, 286, and yours being made slightly before the other two (lower serial number).

I would guess that your bike is from about 51-52-53
:lol: I just did too, after seeing the whole bike pics in the fresh finds thread! Looks like it may be the companion to the men's 'exhaust header' bike. -Adam

I want to know what year my JC Higgins bike is.. It is stamped 502-286 and below those numbers it is stamped 136187. Can anyone help me figure it out. A fella had a similar bike that is a 1955, but it was not a JC Higgins, but it was a twin sister of a different brand.. Please direct me

Latest posts

Back