Decisions decisions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be buying a new rear hub, i've been looking into a 2 speed kick shift coaster brake as I feel cables can be unsightly but still want gears. My other choice would be a sturmy or nexus 3 speed w/ coaster brake. If anyone has any thing to offer on the kick shift hub or compare sturmy vs. nexus I'd appreciate any advice.

I've got a sturmey 3 speed and a shimano 3 speed, they are both pretty good just be sure to grease it cause everybody forgets.

If you decide to go with a kickback there are a couple things you need to know.

Bendix Red and Yellow band kickback hubs- These are tanks. These have a low gear of .67:1 or 1 turn of the sprocket on the hub will give you .67 revolution of the wheel and the high gear is a 1:1 ratio like a normal bike. These are made for 26" and 24" wheels generally. I have had a few and rebuilt them with no problems, but if you take them apart incorrectly you will brake the spring and you are left with a cool paper weight. The springs are what typically break and there is no easy place to find replacements. Here is some info on the Bendix hubs http://www.trfindley.com/pgbndxhbs.html

The Bendix blue band hubs are an overdrive hub and are made for 20" bikes. The low gear is 1:1 and the high is 1.5:1. You could use this on a 26" wheel but you would want to size your chain ring accordingly or you will be killing your self on the hills.

The new Sturmy-Archer S2C hubs are also an overdrive hub, but there are parts available for them. Their ratio (as I understand it) is low 1:1 and high 1.38:1.

The Sachs Duomatic is another kickback hub but I have little knowledge of it. They also made a true automatic two speed with two different gear ratios available, but again I have little knowledge on it.

Hope i didn't throw too much at you at once. :wink:

udallcustombikes said:
Hope i didn't throw too much at you at once. :wink:

Ha ha.. maybe a little :wink: The old wheels were 28" and seem to be shot, bent spokes and rims. Will keep old single speed CB hub for rebuild and use on another ride. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30422 I would like to replace with similar size wheel I think 700cc is close. 600cc, 700cc, 28", 26" blaah blaah blaah, I am new to bike mechanics... all different sizes and ratios make greedy brain hurt :shock:

thanks for the info guys... sounds like price should be the determining factor on the SA/Nexus debate. I had only seen SA kickbacks will check out bendix 2

Back