"Deathwish" or the cheap way

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heeyyy everyone here's a very small project, just a little something.

This story begins in january 2017 when I'm given this :

LNMkbrW.jpg

A motobecane Minivelo from the late 70's, the exact same one my ex had but it's pretty rusted. Here's what it looked like brand new :

F4g19nU.jpg

The bike was given to me because the frame cracked (common problem). I rewelded the frame then the bike sat in my shed until last week when a good friend of mine gave me an old Raleigh to fix for him, including a hub swap. He wanted to change his Sturmey archer AW 3s for a singlespeed coaster brake hub.

BEff7cQ.jpg

I have no use for a hub with no coaster brake for my choppers but I wanted to use it on the little Motobec so I had the idea to convert it to disc brake; here's how it was done, presented to you in this handy guide.

Warning : What you're about to witness is some dumb kid trying to save about 21.35€ disregarding the fact that building a disc hub out of a non disc hub is an extremly bad idea that no sane person should attempt.

1 - Get big steel plate
q0TURO9.jpg

2- Get disc
6mtxnEf.jpg

3- Trace radius for disc bolts and center hole
OQrnb4v.jpg

4- Bring out the cheapy hole saw kit
48khuOt.jpg

5- Drill oval holes
kmBIAgo.jpg

6- Drill and tap mounting holes
rAkBLRS.jpg

7- Deck out the Dremmel and grind until fit is satisfying
0WOndke.jpg

8- Use a piece of wood to align the disc
DEuHXJe.jpg

9- Add spacers to make a tight fit
IOa7IpW.jpg

10- Tack in place and check fit
MKDaDb1.jpg

11- Finish welding
pGA9hoR.jpg

There's to that, tune in tomorrow for the second guide : How to disc brake your non disc brake frame. Cheers

It is now time for part two!

First order of business was to build the wheel, which I carefully measured and used a spoke calculator to build something decent, before noticing that the rim is a 24hole rim; and worse you can't get a 36h version because this sin't a 20inch rim, this is older french measurements 500A, much like Schwinn S7. I instead calculated a way to lace the 36hole hub to the rim by doing so : inner spokes are 3cross and outer spokes 2cross skipping every third hole on the hub and it makes for a not so bad rim:

Yp2Ulk9.jpg

I tried making an adjustable mount :

6s1jXSb.jpg

Installed it on the caliper

mVGCZf6.jpg

If you're doing this yourself tack multiple times until you get the adjustement right

rmozc0H.jpg

Weld'n'grind

ShnLcg8.jpg

Here it is all mounted on the bike :

dQ8qIA7.jpg

Brake side:

5yK15wb.jpg

And the whole bike :

rN9Sq1h.jpg

I'm now waiting on new tires (remember, weird sizes) and a new brake caliper. I can't take it for a ride cause the chainline is completly off since the sprocket is facing outwards. See ya wednesday

Back