Dear Cracker Barrel, please release the captive bikes.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Seems like every Cracker Barrel restaurant has a bike hanging up in it's rafters for display, but since I haven't cared about vintage bikes for very long I never paid them much mind. I was eating at my local Cracker Barrel the other night and looked up at an old Schwinn skip tooth, fenders, tank, light, etc... girls frame, but a sweet looking older bike.

We need to start a letter campaign for the Cracker Barrels to release all the old bikes.

What's in yours?

im pretty sure you can buy them there, the cracker barrell near me has had the same westfield hanging from the ceiling that was there when they opened. and has a price tag of $900 hanging from it.

CCR said:
im pretty sure you can buy them there, the cracker barrell near me has had the same westfield hanging from the ceiling that was there when they opened. and has a price tag of $900 hanging from it.

I've always noticed that all their antiques are bar coded, but I always thought that was for inventory purposes, to make sure stuff isn't disappearing. I've never seen a price on anything or a sign indicating that you can inquire into buying anything.

yoothgeye said:
We need to start a letter campaign for the Cracker Barrels to release all the old bikes.

What's in yours?

I always wanted to start a campaign along the same lines. Save Our Beer/Bar Bikes.

i dont think its actual inventory, kind of like a silly/outrageous price in case someone asks. its just a yard sale looking tag with a hand written price on it dangling from a dusty piece of thread but ive seen the same tags on other "decorative" stuff in there like cans and saws too .... maybe they all just came from the same yard sale :lol:

CCR said:
i dont think its actual inventory, kind of like a silly/outrageous price in case someone asks. its just a yard sale looking tag with a hand written price on it dangling from a dusty piece of thread but ive seen the same tags on other "decorative" stuff in there like cans and saws too .... maybe they all just came from the same yard sale :lol:

$900 at a yard sale... haha, wow.

Yeah, if you look, you should also see a bar code attached to the merchandise, very small tag hanging from items.

My cracker barrel has a skip tooth black and white girls Roadmaster hanging over the gift shop. It looks all original. If it's a repaint ,it's a darn good one. It has a bar code on it.
Somewhere there's a place full of old bikes ready to be hung in new cracker barrels all over the country.
We need to find that place!

I've noticed that these decoration pieces are usually girls bike tho... I guess far cheaper that the boys bike version.

I've been to most of them between here and Va. Beach when we were house shopping and then moving. Some of them had cheesy 70s Western Flyers, but one had a Monark Deluxe springer(!) and another had a Schwinn men's w/springer! I assumed these were outrageously priced, so i didn't ask. -Adam

I'm carrying my camera in next time to get a photo of this old bike so I can share, maybe we can all share and compare photos of these hostage bikes.

I do not believe they are for sale, all items are barcoded for inventory purposes. Many years ago I was selling hundreds of old signs to a picker for Cracker Barrell restuarants, he did not care about condition, he bought all the cheap rough signs he could find and they were all brought to a warehouse where they would be touched up and set aside for a future restaurant. they would actually hang items in a replica of there store at the warehouse as a "dry fit" before they would be taken down and shipped out to be hung the same way. It was quite an operation and he showed me a bunch of pictures. That is probably why there are mostly Girls bikes hanging in the stores, as they bought the cheaper items as they needed so much inventory. On the signs, they were repaired and it was very hard to see the resto work, I am sure if you took a bike down you would see most were touched up.

OK, so yesterday I got a crappy phone picture of the women's skiptooth Schwinn (with springer) at our Cracker Barrel.

Roanoke Rapids, NC on Interstate 95:

crackerbarrell.jpg

That one is really shiny! Ours looks barn fresh, but yours is newer. I guess now the first one with a Cracker Barrel men's bike wins.

I say we should swing the bikes till they fall on us and offer to take the bikes as an out of court settlement, bang, free bikes

caffeine7 said:
I say we should swing the bikes till they fall on us and offer to take the bikes as an out of court settlement, bang, free bikes

I like your style, but after dropping a tandem with no wheels and one of the sprockets landing on my toe last week, I'm not too fond of being hit by bikes.

Of course, I'm sure many of you have suffered from chainring toe.

i've been in Cracker Barrel so much;
i acctually stopped paying attention
to the bicycle hanging. :oops:
i know one
of the C.B.'s we stop @ , has a mens frame cycle .
will be on the lookout now. :mrgreen:

Back