Cyclone like? board track build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first build off thread ever! I always thought I wasnt good enough to enter but I've got a feeling inside thats telling me that this is my time. I was acturally working on my 71 schwinn orange krate as a birthday present for myself but Ill hold off on that to tackle this build. I'll post pics of the frame and what not when i get i chance cause im doing this from work. A Teaser I guess.
Cyclone7583Gall.jpg

More to come.

This is the frame with i think a elgin chainguard that i bought from a member a while back that needs to be attached somehow. The fork needs work also. Im not using the ugly seat, I'm soon looking to purchase an old one with those long springs. I might wanna put a tank on it but i dont know who made the frame, can anybody guess? I also got some vintage 24'' skiptooth wheels from a member that im going to put some felt cream thick bricks on. the serial # is on the bottom of the bike but all i can make out is N.

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

I have a couple of those chainguards, 1 has the monting hardware still attached, pretty simple to make up, let me know if you want a pic, Rick

if I remember correctly, I believe the frame is H.P. Snyder. That style of dropout is a signature feature of a particular maker. I think AMF or Murray made something similar, but much later.

KZ1000 said:
I have a couple of those chainguards, 1 has the monting hardware still attached, pretty simple to make up, let me know if you want a pic, Rick

great I would love it if you can! Thanks!

Very nice fork, and a very cool chainguard! :) If you want a tank but can't find one, you could always make one from fiberglass. Make a foamcore and then glass that. :)

Galtbacken said:
Very nice fork, and a very cool chainguard! :) If you want a tank but can't find one, you could always make one from fiberglass. Make a foamcore and then glass that. :)

Wish i knew how to do that, If you have pics can you show me? Thanks. :mrgreen:

Here are some good pictures of how you could do it. :) viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15409&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fiberglass

Or you could shape the foam to fit in the frame and then glass it separately (not fiberglassing any part of the frame, if you'd like to remove the tank at some point) and then bend a couple of inch-wide strips of brass or copper over the top tube and use them to attatch the tank. That would look pretty much like some of those old boardtrackers! :D

Galtbacken said:
Here are some good pictures of how you could do it. :) viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15409&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=fiberglass

Or you could shape the foam to fit in the frame and then glass it separately (not fiberglassing any part of the frame, if you'd like to remove the tank at some point) and then bend a couple of inch-wide strips of brass or copper over the top tube and use them to attatch the tank. That would look pretty much like some of those old boardtrackers! :D

Im thinking of going this route with the tank, but i got serious butterflys because this is a first for me.

Great inspiration, but maybe look at 1915? That looks like a much newer Cyclone.

Can't wait to see it.

Good luck.

Lonewolf said:
Great inspiration, but maybe look at 1915? That looks like a much newer Cyclone.

Can't wait to see it.

Good luck.

Thanks, gonna order the cream thick bricks tonight.

Go for it!! Turned out OK the first and the second time I did it. (just check out the last post of the link Galt posted).
Remember to use green floral foam or the blue construction foam. Regular foam will melt. Get a good set of rubber gloves and do it in a very ventilated area.

Next time I´ll make a wooden tank, just for kicks, last one I did turned out pretty good.
This bike of yours will be great, I love the board track look! :wink:

You're opting for cream rather than the black on the cyclone...is this the cyclone like part? lol
I think you're right to go cream! Great vision. Can't wait to see this thing :)

FOUND OBJECTS said:
You're opting for cream rather than the black on the cyclone...is this the cyclone like part? lol
I think you're right to go cream! Great vision. Can't wait to see this thing :)

I think the cream tires will make it look less bikey compared to the traditional black. This thursday I want to have the fork fitted to the frame. :mrgreen:

Back