CWC-6 Update 5/13/11 - Mock Up!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Florida Starting October 1, 2016!!!
Hi! It's that time of year again! Last years CWC-1 build was a great success - I finished it, I felt really good about it and other builders liked it also. This years venture will be in a totally different direction than last years. CWC-1 was a full blown 60 pound Custom whereas this years will be much less detailed and quite a bit lighter.

OK, it's no secret I'm a big CWC fan and I'm trying to vary the individual builds as much as possible. The idea for the CWC-6 came from reading an old thread by "minnphats". His father had raced in the "Little 500" held each year in Bloomington, IN. so he recreated the 1960 bike his father raced. While looking through some of the vintage pictures from previous races I came across one that really got my attention. My range of CWC interest is from 1936 to 1956. The picture illustrated below was from the 1953 race which was the year they switched from Schwinns to Roadmasters as the base bike that everyone raced. They would train on the bikes all year which would make the bike itself a 1952 model - that will be the frame I'll start with.

I want to build this in the same "flavor" as the pictured bike. Quite a bit of it will be an exact replication of what you see but a few minor things I will use my own tastes. Just like last year this will be great fun for me not only because of what I'm building but also to witness the imagination and skills of everyone else entering. I am always amazed at some of the stuff these guys come up with - what did their parents feed them when they were growing up? Was it in the water? For those of you that have never entered one of these buildoffs you don't know what you are missing. It is not only rewarding but you can learn a tremendous amount along the way. Everyone enjoy!

1.jpg

Re: CWC-6 Update 5/2/11 - Pic Back Up!

Good looking Hiawatha garagegoon!

I may have lost the pic when I moved it from one file into my new buildoff file on Photobucket. Anyways, we're digging in for a couple more days of rain here in Indiana and I hate taking pics in the rain. Not to mention my "shop" is the outside lawn so I'm always at the mercy of Mother Nature. Later!

Road Master said:

Wow!!! I've seen this pic before if I remember correctly but ...wow!
Are there any more vintage pics of races were riders are using these kind of bikes? Just wanna know if these are of official bikeraces. It would totally justify the (for now) still absent category of cruisertype bikes with dropped handlebars and a seat high up in the air. The look that I'm after with my build. Except for mine being a cheap MTB ofcourse... Looks like some kind of estafette race...

Thanks for putting this up.

herr_rudolf said:
Road Master said:

Wow!!! I've seen this pic before if I remember correctly but ...wow!
Are there any more vintage pics of races were riders are using these kind of bikes? Just wanna know if these are of official bikeraces. It would totally justify the (for now) still absent category of cruisertype bikes with dropped handlebars and a seat high up in the air. The look that I'm after with my build. Except for mine being a cheap MTB ofcourse... Looks like some kind of estafette race...

Thanks for putting this up.

Well first, yes this is a photograph of the Little 500 Race that I referred to in my text above. The very first one was held in 1951 and they still have these races at Indiana University every year. A manufacturer supplies all the teams with exactly the same bike(s) for which the team puts a deposit down. After the race the team has the option of keeping the bike(s) or getting their deposit back. The only parts they are allowed to change are seat/post, handlebars and pedals. Every bike is geared exactly the same with a coaster brake. When I first read about this I was fascinated that they were using ballooner bikes with coaster brakes in the beginning.

The first two years all bikes were Schwinns. Starting in the 1953 Race from which the above pic is taken Roadmasters were supplied to all the teams and exclusively for many years to come. The bikes have evolved from ballooners to the light weights they use today - but still with a coaster brake. The companies still make these "Little 500" Bikes exclusively for this race. So I would say yes, these are official bike races which would justify a category all it's own. That's why I referrenced how the bikes have evolved - todays bikes are quite a bit different than the original ballooners. They also started with skip tooth gears/chain and moved to 1/2" as time went on.

The pic above is the earliest I have seen so far. And yes, you have seen this picture before. I'll post the link to minnphatts build (actually two - a 1960 and a 70s era) below and if you read it closely you'll see that you posted a comment on that thread. I'll also post the link to his Little 500 Photo Albumn. Enjoy!

minnphatts build
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18124&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

minnphatts albumn
http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp31 ... ?start=all

Hey thanks man, for the extensive info on this. Made me wanna look up some more. Very interesting. It's like stockcarracing, or the Indy 500 for bicycles. Typical American.
I realised that I posted on minnphatts thread before. Must have been when I had just discovered RRB.COM... I forgot all about it but the vibe of those bikes must have settled in my brains somehow.

I found some vintage footage that goes with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KokdajORdec

I will definately keep an eye on your build...
8)

herr_rudolf said:
Hey thanks man, for the extensive info on this. Made me wanna look up some more. Very interesting. It's like stockcarracing, or the Indy 500 for bicycles. Typical American.
I realised that I posted on minnphatts thread before. Must have been when I had just discovered RRB.COM... I forgot all about it but the vibe of those bikes must have settled in my brains somehow.

I found some vintage footage that goes with it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KokdajORdec

I will definately keep an eye on your build...
8)

The reason it seems so much like the Indy 500 is because it was designed after the Indianapolis 500 in many ways. The total number of riders, number of rows, number of riders in each row and the pace laps being led by a Pace Car to name a few. I like that video you came up with from 1957 - that's a goodie. Got many of the rider transfers right down front and got down trackside for some up close and personal footage. I figure it had to be a college guy filming because periodically there was exclusive footage of the female species in there.

Re: CWC-6 Update 5/3/11 - Parts Pics!

The sun peaked out for a couple hours late afternoon so I ran outside and snagged some pics of the parts I have so far. I still have to get the girls fork threaded another inch so I can cut that off to correct length. I need a custom length and bend seat post plus I've got to raid my parts boxes for 5/8 center clamp section to work with the Velo single rail clamp I have for the saddle. I really like the repop bars but I have my eye on another set that might work better and I would love to put these on a Hercules 3 speed. I picked up one of those cogs that changes a Shimano 1/2" pitch to a skip tooth. The seller advises that it will click for awhile as it gets broke in - I think that is because the cut teeth are full width, not beveled like factory cogs so I'm going to bevel them before installation. Don't want to put a lot of time into building a bike only to hear it click after I get it together.

Guess I can start cleaning parts and get a mock up together. Not nearly as many parts to paint this year. Should have plenty of time to finish if I keep at it. More to come. Robert

001.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

011.jpg

whoa!!! Nice stuff..
I like those handlebars. What kind of Brooks is the saddle? Mine was to wide and lost ALL of it's comfort it had when I sat in an upright position. Yours does look more narrow than mine.

It really was a surprise to see the Little 500 being a relative big event. Big, because of lots of spectators and looking like an official race. Small, because of it being limited only to college-students. I like the tradition and the fun aspect of it. Too bad they switched from balooners to diamonds...

pvwacko said:
I like it! Great to see a new (old) style. We have a mountain bike race here in flagstaff called cruiser nation were people have to race an old cruiser on a downhill portion of single track... I love cruiser races!

What you just described is how mountain bike races started - the frame to have was the Schwinn Excelsior.

Road Master said:
pvwacko said:
I like it! Great to see a new (old) style. We have a mountain bike race here in flagstaff called cruiser nation were people have to race an old cruiser on a downhill portion of single track... I love cruiser races!

What you just described is how mountain bike races started - the frame to have was the Schwinn Excelsior.

Know all about it! I hope to someday ride Repack on my Klunker when it's finished!

blackdiamond said:
where did you get those handlebars from???

Soma Fabrications makes a bunch of cool handlebars. Three of them are repops from the 30s & 40s and are made just like the originals with a 1" clamping area to fit stems of that era. The three are all named after famous racers that designed and raced them - the Walker, the Major Taylor and the one I bought is the Lauterwasser. I saw the Lauterwasser first and really love them so I bought them immediately. Eventually I went to the Soma web site where you can buy their bars direct for the same price I paid through a dealer and found the other two. I was actually looking for one like the Major Taylor but the Lauterwasser caught my eye - I want both. Here's a link to check them out -

http://www.somafab.com/barmajort.html

Re: CWC-6 Update 5/13/11 - Mock Up

Just got my fork back - girls model that needed more threads and cut to length. Mocked it all up - everything went in fine. I even took it out for a test run - can you envision a 290 lb fat guy on that saddle? I'd forgotten what a Brooks felt like - I had a 1970 Raleigh Super Course for a few years back in the day and that was my first Brooks. I still need to come up with a custom length and bend seat post. I lucked out with the seat clamp - I bought a single rail Velo clamp same time as the saddle. It has square holes in everything so I went diggin through my seat clamp box and I'll be darn if a didn't have a NOS clamp with the square holes to fit a 5/8 post. Swapped some parts and bingo - ready to ride. The custom made skip tooth sprocket for the Shimano style hub popped right on - it's actually a better fit than the originals. I removed the Western Flyer head badge - a new repop Roadmaster badge has the same hole spacing and I'll use the original head badge pins also. Picked up my "Aircraft Paint Remover" so I'm ready to strip. Last year was a good learning experience - I'm allowing more time to paint this year and I can clean up parts and what not during drying times and rain. Movin on!

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Back