CUTTING LOOSE ON A MONGOOSE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son has recently taken a liking to BMX racing since getting him a BMX bike for Christmas. Often when we go out to the local track and he practices alone, so I wanted to build a BMX I can practice with him when it's just us on our track.

I found this 90's Mongoose in the junk yard a couple weeks ago. There is nothing special about it but I have always had a liking for the head tube going thru the frame instead of being welded on the ends of the down and top tubes.

33947_128115330700281_951249456_n_zpscbd20664.jpg

It took awhile because most of the parts were rusted badly, but after letting it soak in penetrating oil for a week I took the bike apart without to much problem.

mongoose90-2_zpscdc15f19.jpg

In the 90's Mongoose as many others had China making it's bikes, for this model they added the thru headset brakes and a Cantilever brake in the back. I hate both these features so this wont be on the new bike. I haven't completely removed the brake post because I have a idea for them later.

mongoose90-5_zpsd15e2ccd.jpg

mongoose90-4_zps32765aaf.jpg

I plan to re-chrome the frame after I remove the chain guard and brake cable stops all over the frame.

mongoose90-3_zpsceb0b802.jpg

Another cool feature on this bike is the Mongoose stamps all over the frame, I think they will look cool when the frame is re-chromed.

mongoose90-1_zpse9da5d36.jpg

Anyhow my plan is to rat this bike up to a no brakes ride it like you stole it BMX, fat bob tires, baby crank and a kiddy seat...something like that.

Back