Cutaway Hub Collection & CAD Models

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tailwinds said:
Hey mods, can we make a combined thread or sticky on the subject? Coincidentally I was just out in my shop taking photos of an old Elgin hub for components/assembly.
There have been several hub diagrams/walkthroughs lately and I think this would be an invaluable tech resource for everyone.

I made the UCB Hub Projectthread. I have been trying to keep it updated with links to rebuilds and cut-aways by myself and others, I added this thread earlier today.

Tailwinds said:
Ok cool. That's a great reference too. I'll add my Elgin photos to it.

I welcome anyone to add their links, pictures, or any other hub info to it. If you would like to PM me a link to your rebuild I will add it to the index in the first post.

Styria Factory Cutaway:

STYRIA-01.jpg

STYRIA-02.jpg

No I do not have a Renak hub but it may be the same as the Styria I just posted which I think is the same as Fichtel & Sachs.

A couple more New Departure CAD models showing the assembly.

MODELDHUB-sectioned-sm.jpg

MODELDHUB-exp-sm.jpg

3D CAD model of a Musselman Cutaway using the Elgin shell.
I modeled this hub with the Musselman, Elgin, and J.C.Higgins shells.
So far I have only modeled one brake arm.

MUSSELMAN_sm-01.jpg

MUSSELMAN_sm-02.jpg

MUSSELMAN_sm-03.jpg

The rarest of my collection:
New Departure Model A Factory Cutaway:

ND-MODEL-A-01.jpg

ND-MODEL-A-02.jpg

Floyd;
The coasters were done in SolidWorks and the rest were done in my favorite program Pro Engineer. As I recall .dxf is a 2D file, right? Mine are all 3D solids.

The cutaways are amazing, but the cad drawings are spectacular. as a designer, im in awe of your cad skills. please dont tell me you are self taught...

amazing work.

Lobster;
No I am not self taught, although I have taught many others.
I learned Pro Engineer at San Diego State University (SDSU). Depending on how good want you want to get with a program like Pro-E everybody is self taught. Training in a program that huge is always somewhat rudimentary but enough to do most daily engineering task. To get to what they call "Guru" level takes a lot of years learning the intricacies of the program.

I made it to the "Guru" level and was promoted to CAD Department Manager of Black & Decker. There I trained many engineers holding some 300+ classes. Later I trained our engineers in China, that is trained them to eventually replace my own design and drafting team. Without a team to manage...........more time to surf.

C.P.
A dxf can be 3d but if you are using Solidworks I am not sure which format is best. If I find out anything I'll let you know. I design irrigation, wastewater and ag equipment, but my boss is an old fashined slide rule and pencil engineer and does not care for 3d cad (except when it helps make a sale of course).
Floyd

More Factory Cutaways:

Bendix and Morrows on factory display stands:

DSC_0641.jpg

DSC_0643.jpg

Back