Custom Stingray Krate - "Orange Peeler"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i bought this bike from my lbs a while back, changed hands to my brother, got used for parts and whats left is gonna get turned into a smile machine :mrgreen:

its a mutual idea my brother and me have cooked up, probably gonna take a while for what we've got planned, hopefully not too long but i'll update the thread as we move along.

100_3800.jpg

gonna try to mimic an "Orange Krate"

orangekrate.jpg

and inspired by this

greyghosttrike.jpg

PARTS LISTas of 11/10

repop stingray frame
rear tires 2) 20 x 2.125 Schwinn Sting-Ray Sliks (thanks Hooch)
front tire 1) 20 x 1.75 Westwind blackwall
schwinn style chrome stem
trike rear (thanks MonsterMetal)
trike hubs
20" front wheel
chrome seat-tube clamp
chrome seat post
chrome high back sissy bar
49cc china motor kit
gas tank from an old garden tiller
old schwinn badge
generic chrome crank
lucky seven 36t sprocket
schwinn stik shift
junk skate board wheels
crossflag caps
2) 20" chrome rims for the rear

9/8

fork - check (26" schwinn style springer / cheapo taken from another bike)
front tire/wheel - check ( 20x1.75 schwinn westwind repop / original to frame)
valve caps - check (orange crossflags from the parts bin)
stik-shift - check (67-68 schwinn / taken from another bike)

but ... dont know if the fork will work, theres about a 2" difference in the headtube lengths from a 26 to a 20 :|

Re: Custom Stingray Krate - Gonna take a while

Sweet, you gonna keep it a coaster krate or go 5 speed?

gonna stay away from the 5 speed but i think we are gonna try to run a disc brake instead :mrgreen:

Cool, I'm running a 5 speed disc brake hub now, just need to get the new wheel built.

9/9

crank/sprocket - check (schwinn 36t lucky 7 from the parts bin)
chaingaurd - check (schwinn lightweight guard from the parts bin)
headbadge - check (schwinn oval from the parts bin)

now i need to wait until the trike rear end and hubs gets here, going to order from Choppers U.S. / Cycles U.S. as long as the set-up will work for what we've got planned

CCR said:
dont know if the fork will work, theres about a 2" difference in the headtube lengths from a 26 to a 20 :|

You might try to find a 24" springer. That's what the Krate bikes had on them. They make aftermarket ones for around 40 bucks. I picked one up from Memory Lane awhile back and it worked perfectly. You might also find a 16" wheel and tire from a Black Friday Krate on eBay cheap if you wanted to go that route. I also have one of the purple '05 Sting-Rays. I'll be interested to see how this one turns out.

my lbs has a 16" bfk wheel/tire, so that option is there if the 20" doesnt work out. still a bunch to get together for this thing, gonna be fun when its done though !!! :mrgreen:

Wait, so it's going to be an orange krate trike? Or just asking about the trike rearend seperate from the bike? About the trike thing- my friend built a trike with that style rearend, on a few different bike frames, and it was always fun too ride. Way cool to ride a trike on two wheels! It was pretty stout, except when his rigged up wheelbase-extension-bracket-crap bent and jammed up the chain somehow. We had to carry it a block or so before finding some tools. Umm, maybe we were tools.

Anyway, never mind that, I just got some nos chubby Schwinn grips off ebay. They're silver sparkle. It look like they've never been mounted or used, but just from age the clear plastic is sort of yellowed, so they look more like gold sparkle than silver. Didn't like em for mine but if you think gold-ish grips will work for you make me an offer and they're on the way.

you got it, triked :D

ill pass on the grips though, but thanks for the offer

the one thing i dont understand about the trike rear end is the mounting, its gonna need to be pretty solid so it may get welded to the frame if need be. once its together id hate to tear it apart.

do you know if the axle is keyed by chance ??

Super cool.I hadn't seen this before.Can't wait to see this one come along. :mrgreen:

Back