Custom high flange coaster brake hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always liked high flange hubs, and especially the Schwinn hubs with big holes. There are no high flange coaster brake hubs currently available, so I decided to make my own. I found Amir in Israel who makes flanges for Atom hubs, and he agreed to make these for me. Now I am to the point of testing them out.

Bikeguy and Amir did an outstanding job building this hub. I am working on a production version of this based on my own hub parts with the Velo Steel coaster brake.
Here are a few CAD renderings of the hub:

how cool is that. :)

back in the day, when I was into bike racing. I had wheels with Normandy and Campagnolo high flange hubs.

Since the spokes PCD is bigger than the cog. Its easier to fit spokes. Don't need to remove the cog. An advantage when servicing it.

I have an old Shimano 3 speed hub, that's got a chrome plated centre section, and the spoke flanges seem to be pressed onto the hub, and are not chromed. I always thought they could be removed, and high flanges made and pressed on. But making those flanges acurately is beyond me.

Maybe high flanges from disc brake hubs could be modded to fit on there

Maybe Bikeguy should make a better fitting clamp for the coaster brake arm, onto the chain stay tho

The clamp in the picture is not tight, and the bike is only mocked up pre-paint. Velosteel supplies the clamps pre-formed, but they can only guess at what shape your chainstay will be. The person installing the hub needs to shape the clamp to fit the chainstay tightly, of course. I took the picture so show the hub, not to demonstrate the ideal installation technique.

Nice work on the Paramount. I really like all the details including the skiptooth and new Brooks saddle.

so you basicaly rivited big flanges on the standard flanges ? Brilliant !! 8)
P8200125_zpsa7efeabe.jpg

Back