Custom Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a word of advice since I think this has happen to a lot of people before. Make sure you have all the parts you are going to need before you start painting and they have been mocked up. You can always use a drum brake hub which you can install a 3 cog cassette. If the rear dropouts are not wide enough you can always use a cars jacks. Place it between the dropouts with maybe a piece of wood on each side and slowly turn it and checking until you have the clearance for the wider rear hub. But it will damage the paint

I got most of the paint off the tank and found that it is quite pitted. I didnt want to paint over that like it was, that is when I realized the seat looked quite similar and how it might make the seat look like it fits in with the bike.
DSCN7871.jpg

What do you think?
I have yet to decide to repaint, or just clear it all. besides the frame anyway, that really needs new paint :oops:. axsepul is right, it is my second build so I still havent gotten the whole process down yet :roll: :D

gna be a looker thats for sure! I think with such a clean looking bike I'd paint the tank at least or clean it up a lot more. maybe a pbr head badge would be fitting?

BillyOlds said:
gna be a looker thats for sure! I think with such a clean looking bike I'd paint the tank at least or clean it up a lot more. maybe a pbr head badge would be fitting?

I'm sorry but I always need help with abbreviations. What does gna and pbr mean?

Maybe a thread with abbreviations is a good idea for all of us that don't follow the testing trend!

I did a good mock up today and this is how it turned out.
7588203a.jpg

4c3999cb.jpg

I am thinking about leaving part of the tank bare and try to use some of the contours to draw in the red stripe design. I will experiment later and see what comes of it :mrgreen:
I am also looking into that part I need for the hub. Someone on the cabe pointed me in the direction of one currently on eBay for $25 but I'll try to see if he goes for less.
Thanks-Craig

sorry, yes pbr is Pabt blue ribbon. Gna is just crappy english for gonna which in proper english is going to.

also you can google most abrevations and they are likely to come up.

I like the idea of doing partial bare metal, i just did my latest like that and love it.

I got the seatpost made. but the spokes are too shiny and I want them to be aged like the front ones. I have a thread in the builds section, asking how to patina spokes. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47005
here are some pics
DSCN8028-1.jpg

DSCN8020-1.jpg

Glad to see this bike getting worked on again! :wink: Looks real good, I might have to steal your paint scheme (I'll use different colors!) :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Glad to see this bike getting worked on again! :wink: Looks real good, I might have to steal your paint scheme (I'll use different colors!) :mrgreen:
haha, sorry to stop building. I was hibernating. Im really eager to come back out of the dark and come back to this site. this build i may not finish right away due to other priorities, but i hope to work on it here and there. :D

DUDE!

This thing looks great!!

I wouldn't repaint it. Run to the auto parts store and get some black pinstripe tape it lays down real easy.

It will look great next to the red and white and hide any bleeding of the red.

Check out the difference the tape makes.
GarretsBike2011015-1.jpg

GarretsBike2011016-1.jpg

GarretsBike2011017-1.jpg

GarretsBike2011018-1.jpg

Keep up with the great build! :mrgreen:

That paint job is sick on those fenders! Yeah, I'll definetally consider getting the pinstripe tape. This build has been put off too long! I need to finish a side project first, then once I find a break in the build off bike, I'll try and work this one in. Thanks for the positive feedback though! :D

FINALLLLLYYYYYY!!!!!!! here is before,

DSCN7067.jpg

and here is how it stands now.

DSCN0256.jpg

I decided to buckle down and finish this tonight. all i had to do was build the rear wheel, attach the seat pan tighten all the little fender screws, and attach the kickstand. oh, the tires are from Norway. haha

bad pictures, but they were taken instantly after I finished it. I am ready for all the good/bad feedback anyone has to throw at me.

p.s. the paint job is really really really non professional! :oops:

bon said:
finally! nice look on that bike, simple but with attitude. i was browsing this and i just saw that it's more than a year since you started the build. start another one now. :D

Thanks! I realize that alot of the things I posted didn't actually end up on the bike. That is all due to little complications. For the last year, it has basically just been balancing on two buckets and some wood so I got sick of the disgraceful sight so I finally finished her off 8)

Latest posts

Back