ORBO Crusty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost robbed this seat but it’s just as big...
baby-got-back-sir-mix-a-lot.gif

Put on the biggest, gnarliest tires you have. Find a good MTB style saddle at least for the 'show' aspect of this build. You can have a bigger one for the 'go' riding time later.
Sadly, rarely have bike builds on here ever been given extra points for being 'ridable' in their 'show' set up.
I've never really been a fan of the BMX riser bars on a klunker. Klunkers were really modified cruiser bikes to be able to handle off-road use, and the early downhill runs in Marin County. Wide, low, bars were the early go-to.

Screenshot_20240116_064622_Chrome.jpg

Put on the biggest, gnarliest tires you have. Find a good MTB style saddle at least for the 'show' aspect of this build. You can have a bigger one for the 'go' riding time later.
Sadly, rarely have bike builds on here ever been given extra points for being 'ridable' in their 'show' set up.
I've never really been a fan of the BMX riser bars on a klunker. Klunkers were really modified cruiser bikes to be able to handle off-road use, and the early downhill runs in Marin County. Wide, low, bars were the early go-to.

View attachment 256884
IMG_0712.jpeg

Yeah I almost went with this style moto bar again, but they aren’t real rideable for me. I understand there’s a show portion of this but the metal in my spine wants me sitting upright and I hate buying things that don’t get used. Building this GT is my biggest regret so far and the plan is actually replacing the GT with this.

The most important thing (to Matti, at least) is rideability. I've built 3 bikes for the votes now, none of them has ever travelled more than a kilometre. What's the point of building a bike that isn't going to get ridden because you're not comfortable? I've never tried ojs suggestion to build for the pictures and then modify to suit when the voting is finished

The most important thing (to Matti, at least) is rideability. I've built 3 bikes for the votes now, none of them has ever travelled more than a kilometre. What's the point of building a bike that isn't going to get ridden because you're not comfortable? I've never tried ojs suggestion to build for the pictures and then modify to suit when the voting is finished
That's not my suggestion; all my builds have been 'built to ride', literally no changes from 'showto go' otber than maybe saddle height.
Matti, please use my context of "no extra points for building a rideable bike" as kind of a sarcastic take on a fact tbat has been well-documented in RRB for years; but never admitted to.

My 'suggestion' would be to build as close to an original (?) klunker as possible. Your suggestion of usung moto-x bars is spot on! The comfy cruiser saddle that sits upon this build presently, is not.

View attachment 256899
Yeah I almost went with this style moto bar again, but they aren’t real rideable for me. I understand there’s a show portion of this but the metal in my spine wants me sitting upright and I hate buying things that don’t get used. Building this GT is my biggest regret so far and the plan is actually replacing the GT with this.
I was unaware of your physjcal limitations. Build tbe koolest klunker you can ride komfortably.

I always either go on to continually modify my bikes, or completely strip them down. The ones I strip down are usually the ones I have built to try out an idea. This winter all my current rideable Romets are having the crank/BB replaced since the crank/BB went out of production about 5 or so years ago.

ABLVV86Zddap3-62SCEic0DRdfxcBTXLBXo2lMKJ39l76foBbq0GMRw-w0dqq_4_kcAxHelbXvFxphsxou0QiWT0qXR5xjbUFYoqmZ0ySP2HmtC9lvhic4ooC5csCCFq7cUsxSs0N_hUXGgaz9gPKrdJ2frg=w1271-h953-s-no-gm

New BB and crank in my newest (in age) and oldest (longest owned) 'Tigger' Romet.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood when you said this:
With his now revealed back and spine issues, he would need to use a more comfort oriented saddle. It just doesn't say 'klunker' to me.
Again, you've taken it out of context. I feel like I'm in a 1970's commercial,
"Where's the beef?"

View attachment 256884
I love that shot of Charlie Kelley drifting through a corner on Repack. Classic!

don’t need the huge seat but do need the rise of the bars
High bars and big comfy saddles were used on a fair number of bikes in the early Crested Butte rides. I think they look pretty cool, but I don't know how hard I might ride one offroad. I will find out whenever I rebuild my CB tribute bike.
279653003_10158542108006752_3506473305261680120_n.jpg
C37.jpg
279623765_10158542107976752_543157336352052385_n.jpg

Or maybe a tall stem would help
img_0426_9d42620fc9d40c4b2bb4841add2c03e1ea48199d.jpg

Yeah I’ve seen plenty of era appropriate klunkers using a cruiser seat. The modern mountain bike seat and straight bmx forks is evolution. The lower and wider moto bars were awesome for better control for sure.

I come from a bmx background so a small seat isn’t the end of the world I just know a lot of people think modern klunker and not OG klunker. My spine issues mean gravel/easy singletrack. I’m in northwest Ohio, we don’t have real hills

I always build what I want to ride, I do the build offs because it’s fun to build alongside others.
IMG_3853.jpeg
Turns out the paint might have been a bit soft when I clamped it. Used a simple orange hand wipe and got it off without killing paint.
IMG_3855.jpeg

Sadly can’t buy a new single speed chain anywhere in this town now. Even Walmart! So found a decent old one in the pile for now. Current tire choice.
IMG_3857.jpeg

Sat it down to adjust and tighten the seat, stem and bars.
IMG_3858.jpeg

Pedals tossed on to try and get a test ride Sunday or Monday. Pedals and a chain will be the 2 things I need to order, new chain may wait til after roadsalt season

I think they look pretty cool, but I don't know how hard I might ride one offroad. I will find out whenever I rebuild my CB tribute bike
I tried em on duck Norris for a bit. Not conducive to hard riding, the leverage just isn't there. Another Repack picture for ya, check out the "safety gear", these guys were FLYING!
marmot-blog-repack-races-inline-01~2.jpg

I tried em on duck Norris for a bit. Not conducive to hard riding, the leverage just isn't there. Another Repack picture for ya, check out the "safety gear", these guys were FLYING!View attachment 257086
Yeah, that's another great shot! At least this guy is wearing a helmet. From what I've read Repack was/is really loose and squirrely and with the tires of the day traction was pretty bad. Couple that with mediocre brakes and braking was basically useless. The only way to scrub speed was to slide the back tire around the corner. It's really impressive what they were able to do on those old crates. Great stuff!

Latest posts

Back