ORBO Crusty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3482.jpeg
I’m in with this Hiawatha badged frame. Hopefully I can find a seatpost 😂
IMG_3565.jpeg
why is it every time a build off starts my work area is a wreck. Been cleaning 3 years worth of greasy hardware because I seem to save it all.

Both of the frames I currently have and like were partially stripped at some point in there life so going to try a rough paint job in the cold

View attachment 255464I’m in with this Hiawatha badged frame. Hopefully I can find a seatpost 😂View attachment 255465why is it every time a build off starts my work area is a wreck. Been cleaning 3 years worth of greasy hardware because I seem to save it all.

Both of the frames I currently have and like were partially stripped at some point in there life so going to try a rough paint job in the cold
What size seat post? I may have one for you. I've got a few Hiawatha's in the scrap pile.

IMG_3615.jpeg
Squeezed in some bike time and found out I really need to organize. This isn’t including the forks, fenders and chainguards.
IMG_3616.jpeg
The minute I touched one I found out the totes weren’t on the pallets fully. So I looked for a seatpost and struck out.
IMG_3614.jpeg
Appears to be 13/16 and a few people have spoke up about seat posts so I’m going to return a message
IMG_3617.jpeg
did find out at some point the fine folks at scwhinn made a stem that small. If all else fails. You can see the rust on the stand from the quick sanding last night. Did find out my wife isn’t fond of primer drying in the basement. So it’s gotta stay out in the cold on paint days
IMG_3618.jpeg
found a fork that fits and a stem. Ignore the bars!
IMG_3619.jpeg
IMG_3620.jpeg
Did another round of scuffing with 400 grit and threw some primer on it this evening. See how it looks tomorrow evening and maybe bring it inside.

IMG_3654.jpeg
My dark paint turned out better then I expected.
IMG_3656.jpeg
IMG_3657.jpeg
Had to wet sand a few spots. I know I called this thing crusty but the paints coming around and I might not bring patina back 😂
IMG_3660.jpeg
fantastic painting weather in Ohio.
IMG_3662.jpeg
There’s now 2 different shades of blue, it’s hard to see on my phone but I’m hoping I’m better light the colors show. Trying something different on the fork, if I hate this color the fork and bars will end up black.
IMG_3659.jpeg
Almost forgot, somehow the biggest issue I had was a giant sag on the fork.

IMG_3690.jpeg
IMG_3691.jpeg

This things turning out way nicer then I expected already. I have a few parts stashed for the big summer build but I’m tempted to use them here 😂 it’s a shame this is going to get ridden in snow and mud.
IMG_3692.jpeg

Last round of cleaning hardware was the reason I went downstairs but I couldn’t help myself and assembled the front of the bike.

Follow along for more cleaning and boring decisions.
IMG_3706.jpeg
IMG_3707.jpeg
Sadly the chrome is shot. These are my 3 favorites out of the 25 or so I have.
IMG_3711.jpeg
I very briefly considered this monster from monark. It’s aluminum so it has to be light 😂
IMG_3709.jpeg
the 39T didn’t really make me happy, doesn’t look right.
IMG_3710.jpeg

This 46-48 I’m not sure just bigger then a modern 44 😂 would take a half link to get the wheel wear I’d like. (Weird testing parts when you care about the paint), I apparently didn’t photo the middle 44t option.

Ignore the orange chain, it was the only new and clean chain I had handy! Whatever I decide for sprocket won’t be chrome

Attachments

• IMG_3708.jpeg
    IMG_3708.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
IMG_2359.jpeg
Haven’t looked but this is what was salvageable when I got it in a pile of bikes this summer.
IMG_3752.jpeg
Trying out the wheels and tires. Might swap to the slightly less aggressive tires off my GT.
IMG_3753.jpeg
Just for chuckles I grabbed the red tires. That’s a hard nope but it is kind of funny seeing wheels worth more than the rest of the bike on it.

@Wildcat i do have the chain ring off it but it’s really beat. Someone started stripping everything then it ended up in a bulk buyers outside pile.

@MattiThundrrr until I get a chain and test ride it the white stays 😂 it’s that or a pink bmx seat right now.

Latest posts

Back