Crushing news for cycling

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know the whole story,so im probably gonna spout off something stupid. and im not approving of what was done, but lance was such an inspiration to many (even peter leflure).as a recovering alcoholic,(clean for 4 years), i say give him another chance. my wife and kids gave me a second chance, and thats far more important than any cycling award. it would be cool to see him come back, clean, and still be sucessful, lead a better life,and experience what i have since i sobered up.

My hope is that this scandal doesn't cause sponsors to flee. I enjoyed being able to watch the TDF on TV here in the states and I hope that has not been put in jepordy now! It would be a shame to only watch the highlites of the guys crossing the finish line.

Here's my 3 cents about ALL the accusations in any Sport regarding Doping..Steroids or any other banned substance. WHY WHY WHY..do these things come out YEARS later?? Why is it always 5 years down the road suddenly someone found some NEW evidence or found a witness ?? And that goes for more then just steroids and doping. How is it that we claim fair and swift justice for the accused..yet years later anyone can come out of the woodwork and say someones guilty?? These Athletes are tested quite often..especially Runners..racers and sports like that. Baseball is random..but they test enough guys to know who is doing it and who isn't. So why can't we put regulations on testing agencies like we do Athletes?? There should be only so long to test..accuse and bring it to the surface. Not years later. As far as Barry Bonds goes..did he ever test poistive?? Other than people saying they saw him?? We all speculate based on the size of his physique or the performance from Lance's many wins. So wouldn't ya think someone would want to get in the spotlight quick if they actually has a POSITIVE test from these guys?? I mean right now..not years down the line.

Lastly..I dont care how much steriods you take..if you cant hit a 100 mile an hour fast ball...no shot is going to cure that. And if you cant ride a bike like these guys do..chances are those drugs aren't making lance lance. And if EVERYONE is donig ( still is wrong wither way) then i guess the playing field is back to even.

No matter what..drugs are not right and NO good. Im just tired of people getting accused of crimes they commited years ago. And if the proof is only the fact that you have a piece of paper that says so..why didnt it come out right away so we can test again and be SURE???

All sounds like poo to me. Not to mention all the fact finders and name callers are jealous non-athletes that probably have a bottle of booze at dinner every night...cause we all know booze is so good for you

Whenever I hear about "doping" I think about the Saturday Night Live skit All Drug Olympics and laugh, why not just put it out there?

There is tons of money in these things, how about the racers test just before the race, they still race if they are positive but they wear a special color jersey, and it's not 2 different races, the dopers can take the top spots, the real fun would be watching the clean guys climb the ranks and see at what point (if) they start doping to get into the top spots.

I think they should start televising alleycat races and young BMX racers etc...

The thing that bothered me the most about the guy is his tactics for dealing with people who tried to out him on the deal.

After reading some of the accounts of his lawyers and other staff harassing people and threatening to ruin them financially and basically ruining their lives for telling the truth, it really makes you dislike the guy.

It sounds like there were lots of folks who suffered publicly and financially after the Armstrong machine got through with them. :roll:

He is only admitting for some selffish reason. Possible reasons:
- To fend off any lawsuit/whistleblower case for defrauding the government. (brought by Landis, USPS may join in)
- To lessen the ban- possible down to 8 years.

Definitely showing that you can't LIVEWRONG>

Rat Rod said:

It sounds like there were lots of folks who suffered publicly and financially after the Armstrong machine got through with them. :roll:

Sounds like the same thing the seed supply companies do to the farmers around here ... bullies :roll:

Lance sued a Brittish publication for libeling him. He won the suit and the Brittish pub had to pay him 250 grand, even thought the publication WAS CORRECT.
Greg Lemond's bicycle company was dropped by Trek in retaliation for his accusations that Lance was doping.
I don't mean to pile on. I just do not want you to think that Lance's conduct didn't hurt anybody.

naturephotoboy3 said:
Here's my 3 cents about ALL the accusations in any Sport regarding Doping..Steroids or any other banned substance. WHY WHY WHY..do these things come out YEARS later?? Why is it always 5 years down the road suddenly someone found some NEW evidence or found a witness ?? And that goes for more then just steroids and doping. How is it that we claim fair and swift justice for the accused..yet years later anyone can come out of the woodwork and say someones guilty?? These Athletes are tested quite often..especially Runners..racers and sports like that. Baseball is random..but they test enough guys to know who is doing it and who isn't. So why can't we put regulations on testing agencies like we do Athletes?? There should be only so long to test..accuse and bring it to the surface. Not years later. As far as Barry Bonds goes..did he ever test poistive?? Other than people saying they saw him?? We all speculate based on the size of his physique or the performance from Lance's many wins. So wouldn't ya think someone would want to get in the spotlight quick if they actually has a POSITIVE test from these guys?? I mean right now..not years down the line.

Lastly..I dont care how much steriods you take..if you cant hit a 100 mile an hour fast ball...no shot is going to cure that. And if you cant ride a bike like these guys do..chances are those drugs aren't making lance lance. And if EVERYONE is donig ( still is wrong wither way) then i guess the playing field is back to even.

No matter what..drugs are not right and NO good. Im just tired of people getting accused of crimes they commited years ago. And if the proof is only the fact that you have a piece of paper that says so..why didnt it come out right away so we can test again and be SURE???

All sounds like poo to me. Not to mention all the fact finders and name callers are jealous non-athletes that probably have a bottle of booze at dinner every night...cause we all know booze is so good for you

I still stand by what I said. Why does it take so long to have all these facts come out??? As someone just said Im sure he's admitting to this for selfish reasons..I mean if there are NO TESTS that say he is positive why would you crumble to all the media attention saying you are guilty???

The whole cycling sport is tainted and im sure there are more that are guilty...just as in any sport..BUT..until someone tests positive..and until we can prove these tests to be accurate in a timely manor..non of this is believable. And yes i do believe there are drugs in sports..ALL SPORTS. And i believe the big shots of Baseball and football KNOW there is abuse of drugs..but do they wan this to come out and hurt the sports??? I think not. I beieve the Television EXEC's want stars like Bonds and Sosa hitting massive home runs..whos going to watch skinny guys hitting 250 foot home runs??? The poeple that cant live without sports as as much to blame. WE believe sports is our only option. Personally after playing BAseball for many years and seeing it first hand..im sick of most sports in general. We think people like Ray Lewis are something to look up to...he's a criminal like most of the NBA players..but who cares right??

I still love Lance...sure he doped and that's something no one wants to see in an athlete of Lance's stature. But the man had 3 different types of cancer, pulled through, had the willpower the dedication to live on and achieve great things despite that horrible disease and still finished first in 7 Tour de France races. I still love the man and he's still a role model to me, not the doping part but the rest lol! Ad even funnier...they couldn't give anyone those 7 Tour de France titles because they all were doping! Look that up, it's true!

I think it's going to come out that he bought off (charitable donations) the testing agency/agencies to look the other way.

I guess the doping part is less of an issue to me. Not that I advocate drug use - I don't - but as was pointed out, everyone was cheating at that level, and to compete at all you'd have to do the same thing. You can make an argument about moral high ground and all, but at the end of the day, no one remembers who finished 8th or 10th. My bigger issue is the dishonesty and, even more so, the treatment of those who were honest. That does far more, IMHO, to damage his role model status and "brand" image than anything else.

I'm trying to take a "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" approach to this. But it's getting increasingly harder.

A friend once told me; "a man's life is like a movie, you gotta stick around to the end to see how it works out"... so I'm hopeful that at the end of Lance's life, he will have redeemed himself.

No one is perfect. I know I've done my share of things I'm ashamed of, and I hope I'm not remembered for them, but rather, the bigger better person I keep aiming for, but have not yet achieved (at least not to the level that I'd like to be).

The best criminals are the ones who never get caught. Lance was good at what he did > deception! He is sorry now, sorry he got caught! It took years to nail this one down, Lance covered his tracks really well, it seemed to be a cold case. It's too bad that his lies and bullying negatively affected so many decent people in the sport. A number of riders had their careers destroyed because of Lance, doing this was reprehensible! To he11 with him and the harm that he's done to others :x !

Wait till they contrast the old videotaped denials with the new revelations, wait till they interview the people who's lives were damaged from Lances lies and deception. The apologies are too late, he's only sorry he got caught! He thought he was too smart to get busted, arrogent selfish jerk!

He made choices that hurt others, he alone is responsible for the harm caused by his behavior.

Back