Cruiser/Road bike hybrid

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got home from a jaunt around town on my ol faithful Columbia, and immediately began thinking of ways to "improve my ride"

I currently have my columbia set up as a Cruiser. The run of the mill wide tires, wide seat, and wide bars. Though, the kind of riding I do doesn't exactly involve going slow and stopping to smell the roses... I haul ...! (for a fat guy...)

I was thinking about swapping to a high rise (mtb style) stem, and drop bars, as well as a skinnier seat and narrower tires. I wasn't too sure if I'd be flamed alot (not that it matters much), but I mostly wanted to see what others think/have built... I"m pretty sure this idea is nothing new...

So post up if you have built anything along the described lines, or have any input to add (good or bad)

And, please don't throw me the whole "just get a road bike" pitch, I build everything I ride, which means second hand/free, and often crappy parts. And besides, I'm all for using what I've already got 8)

Again, I'm only thinking like this to improve my ride quality. I live in a small town in Kansas, and there is no "fixie" or "road" scene here, so I'm not trying to fit in. Shewt, I only saw one other rider tonight: a middle aged woman on a townie with lights and baskets! :lol:

The skinnier tires will help in leaps and bounds speed wise. Maybe get some riser kinda like MTB bars. I was actually thinking about do a build like this with just parts I have right now. You could do some bullhorns also or homemade bullhorns by chopping a set of roadbars.

thank you for posting that thread! I found it a while back, but I've been away for a while...

I think I'm goin to start slingin wrenches and swappin parts tomorrow, even in the heat... I'll be sure to post progress pics

This is just my opinion, but it sounds to me like what you want to improve is your pace and cadence. The only way I know to improve the pace and level out your pedaling cadence is to have gears. A single speed coaster is just not the right choice if you want to set a pace and keep it up over hill and dale and flat.

I'm not suggesting going skinny tire and spandex.

Of course I don't know your Columbia, maybe it already has some gears?

jerrykr said:
This is just my opinion, but it sounds to me like what you want to improve is your pace and cadence. The only way I know to improve the pace and level out your pedaling cadence is to have gears. A single speed coaster is just not the right choice if you want to set a pace and keep it up over hill and dale and flat.

I'm not suggesting going skinny tire and spandex.

Of course I don't know your Columbia, maybe it already has some gears?

Hill and dale? He's in Kansas. Hills are about as common as 3-headed frogs. :p None the less, gears are the best way to combine speed and comfort.

Kenda makes thier Kwest in a 1.5" x 26" version. They have two types. The regular "low" pressure and a "100 psi" style. I put the 100 psi on a bike I built for my brother. It had a hi-rise stem and moustache bars on a D'Back Topanga frame. He likes the tires, and he's a serious roadie. BTW, he wasn't too fond of the moustache bars.

Yes, Hills are scarce... but I'm not a "serious" rider by any means, and even the slightest elevation can throw my rhythm off...

I think I've decided against converting my Columbia... though I way end up looking to a bike with gears before too long; they just seem too convienient and nice

It's pretty flat here too, but even on the "flat" bike trails, there are plenty of small ups and downs to keep us changing gears.

Latest posts

Back