Crazy story.. awesome bike.. still evolving

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJK

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i was inspired by the story of the guy elsewhere on here, who bought a frame off of a crackhead....

Right, so today, my Wife and I are taking the dog to the groomers. We took a backroad through town and i spy a guy puttering along on a cruiser framed bicycle... but i notice something "Say, Jamie.. did you see what that guy was riding?" No, she replies.. "Well.. it was a beach cruiser type frame.. but it looked like he had a drivetrain from a really old bike.. ".. So we drop off the dog and I say.. You know, I could probably buy that off that guy.. Lets go try to find him.. (half jokin).. SO we did.. and he only made it up a few blocks from where we were.. I knew it was him.. i spied the Skip tooth Sprocket again.
We pulled up next to him and i Rolled my window down. " Hey man. Where did you get that bike" He gives me a look like , no i didn't steal this bike (thats why he had painted the whole .... thing blue, right?) And i say to him. No, i really like it.. I'll buy it off of you. I got out of the car and could see the brass Schwinn Majestic headbadge gleaming out from under the blue paint.
I've got cash.. I'll give you $20 for it, right now..
It took him a min.. I think he was hoping that i'd offer more money..
But he TOOK IT!!!!
I bought it from him for $20.. i know that just the headbadge alone is worth That much!!!
YOW!
Now I'm trying to figure out just what I bought. And should i restore it? should i clean it up and just make it a rider? should i sell it? as is? or clean the paint off? How much?
Here's what i know:
Headbadge reads
M
Schwinn
Majestic
Arnold Schwinn
&co
Chichago
USA
Frame is brick red with white scalops
White headtube
Down Tube has s like thingy in the scalloping.
Forks are red, Have three lines coming down from the top.. the upper 6 inches of the fork have reflective tape on them.. looks like from the 60s or so.. the handle bars have the same tape in spots.
Tires read PHOENIX HARBURG Extra Prima Made in Germany 26x2.125 reg no. 877944
Rims have been painted over but were white.
Ft Hub stamped Schwinn in script
Rear has NEW DEPARTURE on anti rotate arm, has grease fitting on hub body and NEW DEPARTURE MODEL D MADE IN USA stamped into it.
It also has a welded kickstand bracket (think this means post wwii)
Stamped into the bottom bracket F298489
Chainring is skiptooth with 5 hearts
schwinn cross on seat tube
no chain guard.
found pics of similar bikes.. most definatly a schwinn majestic.. not sure if they all had tanks or not.
whaddu guys think?m(when i got it home, i carefully took a blade and flecked away some of the blue paint and got surprised at what i saw.. now what!?!)
Here's mine:
08-30-08_1716.jpg

08-30-08_1717.jpg

08-30-08_1718.jpg

08-30-08_1719.jpg

08-30-08_1720.jpg

08-30-08_1721.jpg

08-30-08_1722.jpg

08-30-08_1723.jpg

08-30-08_1724.jpg

08-30-08_1725.jpg

08-30-08_1726.jpg

08-30-08_1729.jpg

for reference:
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1948_Sc ... jestic.htm
http://www.rustyspokes.com/menu3/49Maj.html
http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/2198.htm
http://web.mawebcenters.com/wolfcycle/i ... incoln.JPG (actually a restored "lincoln") but looks very similar

Looks like I need to travel to the shady end of town more often. Ill roll around with a walmart comfort bike inthe back of my truck. " Hey man, Ill trade you for this bike, has gears and suspension" lol.

paint is cleaning up pretty nicely.. using medium grade steel wool and soap+water. (later i'll use fine then polish)
The paint is a handsomely faded brick red.. very close to that of Electra's Deluxe Relic.
08-31-08_1358.jpg

08-31-08_1359.jpg

08-31-08_1400.jpg

08-31-08_1401.jpg

08-31-08_1402.jpg

08-31-08_1403.jpg

08-31-08_1404.jpg

The rims are proving to be a pain.. the black flakes away easily where the white "real" paint isnt.. but sticks to it where it is..
gonna have to work a little harder there.

I'm still not sure what i'm going to do with this.
It IS for sale.. make me an offer... need to get parts for the family tandem.
Might wanna keep this for a cool vintage cruiser.. though i have a del sol also.. wife dosen't want this many bikes around.

Awesome!
I thought it was around there.
Did all of these come with tanks?
I dont see any scrapes or whatever to show that there might have been a tank.
-TJ

Wow, you put a LOT more photos in over here.

That is a really nice starting point for a good rider.

I'll watch on both sites..

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Yeah.. THIS site allows much more photo-linking etc..
Unless someone is interested in the bike and wants to buy, I'll just keep on getting the frame and fork to the best I can.. and will probably outfit with modern white wheels and a 3 speed rear. Found repro tanks.. might put one in, but the paint is much darker than the repro red. (not to mention chain guard)
I can see this will probably be moved to the basement and becoming my winter project.

Cool find and a nice bargain, looks like it had a truss fork or front rack seeing that it still has the bracket attached to the headset. I bought a bunch of stuff off a crackhead (might have been my post you're refering too), the guy was a really nice guy and very knowledgeable about bikes,too bad he had a drug problem.

the photos i've seen show it having for struts, yep!
The guy wasn't really a crackhead.. maybe a boozer.. but he was basically just an older guy on a saturday morning with a bike.
I spied him and took a shot, asking if he'd rather have some cash in his hand instead of an old bike. Guess we both made out :wink:

I've also seen repro tanks.. and racks.. I might just do that stuff and also get newer cranks that take modern chain and replace the wheels with modern, powdercoated white wheels (3 speed!) .

Dunno yet.

Back