Crank Noise

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm not the only anal one out there.... when I'm riding my cruiser and hear that inconsitant knock from where the pedal arm connects to the chainring it drives me crazy. Below are the pics of exactly where I am talking about. Is there anyway to stop this without it looking ghetto. It is the space of a small zip tie, but enough to where I pedal hard it moves and hits the other side and makes a noise........ You can see in the second pic I jammed a pieace of white plastic in it but it never stays. Ideas????

crank2q_zps253869ad.jpg

crank_zps4749572a.jpg

You might try taking your crank off and checking that everything is nice and tight when it's together. There should be a nut of some sort holding the chainring on so see if that is loose and if it is see if you can tighten it up.

The nut/race on the inside holds you sprocket. It has to be tight. If not the sprocket will
move a little when you pedal. There are several types of them. One can be tightened with
a big crescent wrench....the other is like the one sitting on the sprocket. It has slots in it.
You take something and hit it tight. Maybe a rod or something. They tighten like a regular
right hand thread nut. Should solve your problem.
DSCF0001-131_zps8d0a9e8b.jpg

Back