Craigslist Low Ballers and Other Annoying Types

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey I am guilty of this from time to time but once they tell me no, I move on. I have a guy who is interested in one of my bikes and he writes a long email telling me what my bike is worth and what he is willing to pay. I usually say thanks for the offer but no. He proceeds to respond back with another long email and offers another ten bucks and I tell him no again. I do not buy and flip cheap bikes. I look for value on something that is under-priced but it has to be a nice bike. No Huffys or department store Schwinns. Dynos, Electras, Phat and Felt cruisers are what I am into. I find these guys to be the most irritating to deal with. You know they want the bike but are too cheap to pay what it is worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least its just emails, not waisting your time waiting for someone to show, and then lowball you.

I have seen site people brag about how cheap they bought a bike and then the next week put same bike up for sale at 10 times what they paid for it . I understand about getting a good deal , but don't understand bragging about THEIR low balling the seller then listing it .

i always get the low ballers I have a very near mint original paint flying o scorpion that I already had appraised at my lbs for 240 dollars and this guy keeps offering me 25 bucks for it and when I tell him no he laves comments on everyone that asks me about that we have deal and he is going to pick it up tonight so I have finally blocked him some people just are born idiots and grew into bigger ones he also got his bock knocked in by another guy that was reading my messages for doing the same thing on a truck the guy wanted 2000 and he offered him 600 and would do the same thing he was doing to me so the guy knocked his block in and that was that people need to understand their not above anyone and realize that just because they make an offer does not mean we have to accept it I hate negotiating I never do it and I usually do not listen to offers i have a price on my bikes and parts because that's what their selling for and if I see something that's overpriced I simply walk away this has been an official heartlandcruisers rant and rave lol but all kidding aside I feel your pain bro

Well, that's Craigslist for ya.
Everyone wants to dicker.
And then, there are the 'no shows"..lots of them. :bigsmile:

I actually fix and flip bikes weekly on CL...and I sell a fair amount of bikes..but I circumvent the cheapies by pricing them right.

Also, I don't fix up any old classic bikes , mostly because I rarely find them here...and, nobody in this area will really pay what they're worth. (I'm pretty convinced by now that all of the cool old frames are either in Illinois, or Michigan....lol....not in Florida)

Learn what people are looking for, and go for that...here, it's beach cruisers for Mom and Dad, and BMX bikes..(.lots of kids going back to school now....)
50% of the flip bikes I find out on the curb for trash pickup, and the most I usually spend for Thrift Store Bikes, is between $5 - $12.

They're cleaned, shined, shoot some paint where needed, adjust and grease.... a redone BMX brings in $40.00....beach cruisers $85.00..all day long....with no dickering. Sold 3 this week already

clist.jpg

:happy:
franco

Franco,
You are right on about Thrift Store Bikes, I've bought a few for that price range mainly for parts but flipped a couple (with some work and parts added) - no more than around $70 tho.
Paid $20 for a Huffy Mtn, bike for my wife - cleaned and adjusted it she rode it up and down the driveway and did not like it... Another parts bike. Tried to sell a mint 3 speed Schwinn on local C/L for $150 no interest frame is just too small for me. :(
Maybe E-bay it.

Hi H.F
I've been buying and selling vintage stuff online for years now in my Etsy store, Ebay, etc
And I've learned a lot along the way.....a lot of it the hard way
Apply it to bikes...
You can place a high price on anything...(a bike for example) and then look at it in your driveway forever and complain about lowballers and what it's really worth and how people are cheapies...etc.....OR, find the 'sweet spot' where it moves.

$150.00 is a death spot for a bike on CList...expect no calls.

My idea is to move stuff, not stare at it and move it around forever...and also, I don't get hung up on being a purist when it comes to flip bikes.

100% of the people that buy bikes off of me don't give a crap what brand it is.....or if it's a 'department' store bike..(that's only guys like us, who are 'looking' for good buys, good bones or oopsies on CL :) )

if it looks good, rides nice, has decent tires....and especially if Mom brings Junior along and he rides it & likes....it's in their car.

I know, I fixed up a 57 Spitfire and had it here for a high price on CL....nothing...
[ an old Royce Union...nothing...a real old Vista 3spd...again....nothing..these two not high end bikes, but not junk...they were still made better than most dept store bikes of today] . I know, because I got into the guts of them.

Bottom Line, there's no big money in Bikes...(for everyone, that is.)
But, just speaking about flipping here....you can buy an old Rollfast and put 9 months and a lot $$ of into making it correct. and by the time you sell it....you've made about negative - $15 bucks an hour
OR...fix up and save a perfectly fine little bmx, or cruiser that has the helll knocked out of it...save them from the landfill, be proud of your work.bring them back from the dead...make some young boy or girl happy ...
positive cash flow couple of days work. (fun)

:happy:
franco

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to buy and flip Huffys and other cheap cruisers. Just can't do it. You can make some very good money if you look for nice cruisers that still have some meat left on the bone. These bikes can be dirty, advertised wrong or just priced low. Some of these bikes may take some time to sell but I am patient.

I have dabbled in some BMX and muscle bikes (not Schwinn or high dollars BMX bikes) and for these the sweet spot can be anywhere from 100 to 200 duckets but closer to the low end of this range.

Time of the year you buy can also make a difference. I like to fatten up on bikes between Thanksgiving and Christmas even a little after. A lot of broke boo boos looking for quick cash.

Last edited:
Hey I am guilty of this from time to time but once they tell me no, I move on. I have a guy who is interested in one of my bikes and he writes a long email telling me what my bike is worth and what he is willing to pay. I usually say thanks for the offer but no. He proceeds to respond back with another long email and offers another ten bucks and I tell him no again. I do not buy and flip cheap bikes. I look for value on something that is under-priced but it has to be a nice bike. No Huffys or department store Schwinns. Dynos, Electras, Phat and Felt cruisers are what I am into. I find these guys to be the most irritating to deal with. You know they want the bike but are too cheap to pay what it is worth.

My collection (at this point) consist mostly of bikes you mentioned (Electra's, Dyno's Felt's). What gets me are the people that list them for about $25 less than what I could buy a new one for. Unless it's some super rare item that isn't available anymore... I walk away from prices like those...

My personal buying strategy? If it looks like it's never been ridden and in excellent shape, I want to be in it for half of what it cost when it was new (at most). If it's got some wear and tear I want it for less. If it's rusty and rough and an internal 3 speed $100 is the most I'll ever pay. The wheelset is worth that to me. I don't feel like I'm lowballing people... and I've bought a lot of great bikes

I always negotiate, but offering 1/4 to 1/2 will probably get you told to F off. There's all kinds out there, craigslist seems to draw them.

I've just started picking up parts bikes, garage sales and curb side are treating me just fine. Bookoo is in my area, bought 1 there, haven't checked goodwill yet.

Last edited:
Some of the asking prices for the bikes are delusional. 300 bucks for a beat up 70s girls schwinn lightwieght. I have bought some decent bikes and made what I felt was a fair offer on some bikes. I know from selling on Craigslist that you better leave some room for negotiations. My nature is to liquidate things at probably at to low of a price. But if you flat out insult me forget it. I had a gas powered weed Wacker at my garage sale for $5. it ran and worked. The guy wanted me to give him a warranty.

Back