Countdown to RRBBO-9! ...START!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be out again, life's been crappy money and time wise for almost 2 years now. I do have a bike and many parts, but the time to build and fab I need.

I'd like to see powdered coated frames allowed for the "Traditional" builds.

I'd like to see powdered coated frames allowed for the "Traditional" builds.
I still don't understand the reason for that rule, but whatever is decided, pretty sure I will be in anything goes anyway!

Luke.

Powdercoat being kept out helps us stick with the "keep it cheap" (relative) rule and helps keep the competition level. If you have a powder gun and oven, you can do your own powdercoat.

Some people have friends who will professionally paint or PC their frames, but not everyone has that option, or maybe they can get it done cheap, but our build-off focuses on doing the entire build yourself.

Powdercoat being kept out helps us stick with the "keep it cheap" (relative) rule and helps keep the competition level. If you have a powder gun and oven, you can do your own powdercoat.

Some people have friends who will professionally paint or PC their frames, but not everyone has that option, or maybe they can get it done cheap, but our build-off focuses on doing the entire build yourself.

That's what I'm doing this year, keeping it cheap! I'm hoping the only thing I need to buy is clearcoat, I'm going full rat rod with PATINA! :113:

Thanks for explaining it Yooth!

Luke.

Even tho I've only been here a short time, I do feel a twinge of angst o_O when I see a bike in a build off totally rechromed and professionally painted and then the owner assembles it and says, "Hey look what I did..." I guess it makes sense if you want that look and finish, then do it, it IS your bike. But it's not really honest to enter it in a build off and say you did it.

Carl

I agree that the main rule to follow should be "do the work yourself". There are always people that get others to do some metal work, welding, tank building, custom part building, upholstering, etc. It's not in the spirit (or rules) of the build off, but the extra drama adds more life to the build off as well. In general there isn't that much drama in the build off. I think adding the Anything Goes category helped reduce that and it opened up an outlet for the builders that didn't want the constraints of the Traditional class. In the end, it's hard to beat the fun and camaraderie of the build off.

I am still kicking around the idea of a reverse trike.

Same here... I have a couple of old wheelchair wheels that are begging to be put to use again somewhere and I had thought of using them on the front of a recumbent trike.:39:

However, I will be looking through my ideas book to see what to do for BO9. I turn 50 this year, so have decided to give any bike built this year a "Glen" name... so maybe an Indian inspired bike called GLENDIAN. o_O

Glen.

Another word association game?
You could build an Elgin bike and call it an Elglen.

Well, I could build a bike BASED on an Elgin... finding an actual one here in New Zealand would be like finding a particular speck of dust in the vastness of space... the final frontier, where no man has gone before... oh hey, I could do the GLENTERPRISE.

Glen.

Edit to add...

Luke... Glendular Fever... yeah... haha... I am pretty sick :p

How a sixties race car based build.
Watkin's Glen or Glen's Watkin

How a sixties race car based build.
Watkin's Glen or Glen's Watkin

Hadn't heard of Watkins Glen racetrack, so google imaged it and heaps of beautiful waterfall images came up... what a place :angelic: I love waterfalls and used to photograph them whenever I could. :happy:

There was/is a speedway track near my hometown of Christchurch called Woodford Glen. A racecar theme aye... hmmm. :39:

Glen.

Back