Correct tire pressure?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched through all topics containing "tire pressure" but couldn't find any answers.

I know that this may be an arbitrary topic, but I'm sort of clueless on the matter and I read guides online regarding tire pressure, but they all say adjust to whatever you feel is right.

I am wondering what most of you guys use typically on your cruisers and perhaps they may be within the same range?

My tires say on them that it's recommended to be between 40-65 PSI and I measured mine and each one read around 20 PSI...I don't even know if the gauge is correct. I am going to go buy a new calibrated one to make sure first, but I'm wondering what the general consensus is when it comes to most people's bikes around here.

I mostly ride around neighborhood streets and sidewalks...quite a few bumps, gaps and holes along the way. I'm 5'9 and weigh about 150 pounds.

The tire pressure depends partly on the width of the rim the tire is mounted on, and partly how much weight is on the tire. Wider rims let you run drastically lower pressures, without sacrificing corner handling. Since no tire manufacturer can predict all that, the best they can do is put a max pressure rating. I'm not sure of what the minimum is for.

Tires that are under-inflated will squirm in turns, and tires that are over-inflated will bounce over rough ground and not maintain good traction in turns.

The method I like most is to put the minimum air pressure in and then try cornering at moderate speeds on flat pavement. If the tires "squirm" out around the turn, put 5 PSI more in and try again. When you can't feel them squirm in turns anymore, that's how much you need. The front and rear tires may have different pressures they need, but it's the correct pressure if that's due to different rim/tire widths, or uneven weight distribution of the bike.
~

I don't know about the width of the rims, but the tires are 26" x 2.35"

I got a new gauge and both read the same thing. Each tire was inflated to 20 PSI. I raised the front one to 40 PSI and the rear to 44 PSI. I read on Sheldon Brown's website that it is better to have slightly more pressure in the rear due to the majority of the weight from your body being applied to the back.

I didn't know that they were so under inflated...like I said, I'm clueless. :)

I'm not sure of the proper PSI and it's hard to explain but I set my tires at a certain feel. It's part feel and part eyeball. Not too hard but where there is a little give when you push in with your thumb. I check before every ride. I've had the same routine since I was about 10 and I'm 37 now!

You need to re-check your tires more often than you would think. If you ride once a week or so, check pressure each time before you ride. learned this at the bike club rides,

i would say the pressure just depends on too many factors to list .
i run cheap rubber 26x2.125 rear 1.95<i think on the front . both are rated for 40psi max ...i run them at 60psi with no problems ( other than having to wrap the inside if my rims with a few layers of hockey tape .... popped a few tubes on the old rims i have because the spoke nipples stick out too far ) one bike has a springer front the other has no suspention

all i can say is i do a lot less pedaling with the presssure at 60psi than i do at 40psi

im light at 108 pounds and i always pump my tire till it gets really hard to pump anymore,so i guess i over inflate cause i like my tires to have little to no give when i squish them with my thumb

i dont fiddle with the gauges and psi partly cuz i dont have one that works :lol: and i just fill it till it looks right and feels right. so many variables to have one definitive answer. if it rides like a cadillac, you got it right. but if it rides like a 4x4 jeep, well, you need to fix that unless youre on a bmx or trail bike. :wink:

jerrykr said:
You need to re-check your tires more often than you would think. If you ride once a week or so, check pressure each time before you ride. learned this at the bike club rides,
Your tires (bicycles and car tires too) also hold air longer if you don't use the air hoses at gas stations.
The air hoses get tossed on the ground and get dirty. When you use it to inflate your tire, it blows some of that dirt into the stem seal, which then slowly leaks air.

Topping up a car tire with a bicycle air pump is a bit of exercise, but then you shouldn't need to do it very often.
~

DougC said:
jerrykr said:
Your tires (bicycles and car tires too) also hold air longer if you don't use the air hoses at gas stations.
The air hoses get tossed on the ground and get dirty. When you use it to inflate your tire, it blows some of that dirt into the stem seal, which then slowly leaks air.

Topping up a car tire with a bicycle air pump is a bit of exercise, but then you shouldn't need to do it very often.
~

Nitrogen in the car tires, I NEVER have to fill them anymore! :)

I run the tire manufactures suggested max psi. I want the tires to roll easy, so it s easier to pedal and I can go faster. The bumps can be absorbed by a longer wheel base, springer fork, and/or a good seat with springs.

Back