Correct bottom bracket for a cruiser? Need help! With pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

I scored a nice old frame that I'm building up. First bike that I've ever started from a complete bare frame.

I'm confused as to what bottom bracket to buy, as well as crank. What do I measure to make sure I buy the correct parts?

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Correct bottom bracket for a cruiser?

one piece cranks and an "american" BB is the standard. If your using older parts you need to find out if you've got cranks with 24 threads per inch or 28 tpi and make sure the bearing set matches. I try to grab cranks that are 170-180mm (6.5-7") in length for a 26" bike. The crank length really depends on your size but those are the most common lengths, kids bikes may have sorter cranks.

Awesome! Thanks for that! I'll see how I go with it all

Ok, so I don't want to use old parts or anything. I was hoping to use a new crank and new BB. So not a 1 piece.

I pulled the old crank out. The bearing cups are still on the frame, they seem to be fairly stuck in there!!

If I was to try and fit a new BB and crank, how do I find the right ones? Is it possible to fit a new BB and new 2 piece crank etc?

I measured the BB housing on the frame. It's 69mm not including the bearing cups. The outer diameter of the BB housing is 55mm.

Looks like a typical american bottom bracket to me, normally need to hammer the cups out with a tap or a sacrificial screwdriver from the backside and they will fly out and get lost in the clutter somewhere.

What crank are you going with ? That would make it easier to answer. Do you mean like a BMX style 2 piece ? Most I have seen can install pretty easy in what you've got but it would be $20-30 for the bearing kit for those types not including the crank cost itself. You just need an american bb kit with right sized sealed bearings for the spindle. Or are you talking about a 3 piece crank (2 crank arms / 1 spindle).

I think I have it sorted. I'm going to use a Truvativ adapter that takes me from the old 1 piece style to a newer 3 piece.
I'm just going to buy a simple BB like a shimano something. Then find some cranks/chain ring that suit the frame hopefully!

Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

Back