Cool Story (need your help)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was talking to an older family friend, Tom, who lives in the neighborhood where I (and my mother) grew up and the conversation turned to the bicycle that I put together for my Mom for Christmas last year. Mom rode the bike all over the neighborhood and he was riding his old Murray built cruiser and they started talking about her bike and she told him how I gave it to her for Christmas. Apparently, he was impressed, and when I ran into him a few months later, he mentioned the story. So, naturally, the conversation turned to old bicycles and he mentioned that he had an old Schwinn boys bike that he needed some parts for. It turns out the bike belonged to another long time family friend, Dale, in the neighborhood and had been ridden all over the place by him and his kids. Well, Tom found out about this bike years ago and had kept bugging Dale about it, in a friendly way of course. Well, the day came when Dale became old and ill and he knew he was going to pass, so he made his kids promise to give the bike to Tom when he passed. Dale's kids made good on the request and gave it to Tom and he's had it ever since. I can't remember exactly when Dale passed, but it was a good 5-10 years ago, and the bike has been in limbo in Tom's yard, under a tarp, ever since. Because we live in Arizona, the bike has survived remarkably well, despite all those years of being ridden everywhere. So, when I was finally able to stop by Tom's house and check out the bike, I took some photos and the serial number with the promise that I would help him source the parts for the bike. I am kind of a sucker for this kind of thing. Bikes that are original to the area from new are pretty rare. Mesa, AZ was a sleepy little suburb of sleepy little Phoenix when this bike was new, so finding an old bike in original shape, in the original neighborhood where it was purchased new, is next to impossible. Plus, this is the neighborhood where I grew up, throwing papers every morning as a paperboy. So, I want to help Tom replace the parts he needs to help keep this piece of neighborhood history alive. I want to give Tom the few parts he is looking for as a gift, so if you can help me find them, I would be very grateful. So, without any more delay, here are the photos.

IMG_0759.jpg

Look at the handlebars, they are WIDE! Tom said he doesn't like them. I told him they were cool and a lot of people like them, so I think he likes them now.

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

It appears as if this bicycle was built in the middle of November, 1954. Cool!

IMG_0757.jpg

This is one of the parts that I am looking for. At some point this piece of the fork broke and someone used an ox-acetelyne torch to repair it. It appears solid, but Tom would like to replace it .

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

I am also trying to identify this seat to see if it was original to the bike. I am looking for at least a replacement top pan for this seat if not the whole thing.

The pedals don't look original as well, but they look period correct, so I won't replace them unless some fall in my lap. I am also looking for some scans of original ads for this bike, so if you know where I could source some, please post a link. I plan on putting together a little booklet of information to go along with the parts when I leave it on his doorstep as a surprise. Let me know what you ratrodders think. Thanks :D

Hey Fatkid,

Thats a very cool story! that bike HAS to stay in that neighbour hood its too cool. I dont got any parts for ya im more into stingrays but thats an awesome hornet I found an original add for you being built in late 54 the bike was probably sold for the 55 year the two tone blue I beleive wasnt available for 54 according to the add it should also have white walls :) . hope this helps you out and keep me posted :)

Thanks Ty

1955_14.jpg

Sweet ride! Ebay is your friend for Schwinn parts! You mainly need a tank horn (repops available) and a Delta Rocket Ray headlight. I believe the seat would've been a Mesinger originally, but they could've went with Troxel if they ran out or something... -Adam

I want to help him get it into riding condition, the headlight and horn will be after that. I just want it to stay in the neighborhood. I'll start looking on ebay for the parts and will probably post in the wanted section here on RatRod as well. These bikes are rarer than hens teeth around here so I have to look online.

I have your struts! Actual, factual Schwinn survivors in good ol OG chrome! They are yours for the taking. Shoot me a PM so's we can make arrangements, I'm in E. Mesa , University & the 202. Later & PEACE!!!!!

Slick Rick said:
I have your struts! Actual, factual Schwinn survivors in good ol OG chrome! They are yours for the taking. Shoot me a PM so's we can make arrangements, I'm in E. Mesa , University & the 202. Later & PEACE!!!!!

Check your PMs :shock:

Update!

Thanks to Slick Rick, super great guy by the way, I was able to pass along the springer struts to Tom. Tom is a very serious person, but when I showed up to his house with the struts and was able to tell him when the bike was made, he was as exited as I have ever seen him. Made my year.
IMG_0788.jpg

I am still on the look out for horn guts, a seat, and the proper light. I may also be looking for pedals, but his may be serviceable. Thanks again to Slick Rick! :D

My pleasure! OMM (Old Man Mafia) strikes again! LOL Hey Dude, I thought of something you could machine for me! I need a replica D-bolt made from stainless for my Phantom project seat post clamp. I have one w/stripped threads and a good nut you could use to dupe one. I would be happy to pay you for it, shoot me a PM so we can see about this. Later & PEACE!!!!

Back