Computer problems

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3 year old toshiba. It starts to act funny. Keeps dropping the wireless. I check my wife's toshiba in the next room and it does fine , so I'm pretty sure its mine. I mess with it a little more and finally it commits suicide. I tried to use the disks to reload the Vista , and it dosen't work. Keeps throwing error codes. I figure its something hardware. I go buy the cheap Apple...$1000. Anyway after learning the new operating system, I get pretty good with it. My brother takes the Toshiba ,and loads a free Linux program on it. Works perfect , and its kinda like the Apple program. No virus's to worry about. Got two laptops now and love them both. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh did I say I hate Vista?

Family member had the same problem, maybe the hard drive or restore discs too Linux worked in the old hard drive but we put windows 7 later and worked fine too on the old hard drive but you would have to get the full version or get a new one, 7 works better than Vista which was bad because Microsoft had to make compromises for the companies making virus software and other such things, but they improved everything for 7.

I thought it was once you go Mac you'll get a smack, you can't say Macs don't get viruses there are viruses for Macs but just not many of them because people that make viruses have Mac computers, they seem to be rich enough to afford Macs and they make so many viruses for Windows because most people have it so by making viruses for Windows they can effect more people.

Macs are bad when it comes to dvd computer features.

the hardware is pretty much the same these days, its just software support that gets ya....

linux is the way to go if you don't game...

I read all the different views on a mac getting a virus. They advertise that a mac won't get one. It says the only way to get one is to download it yourself. If you never password download something then it won't and they said if you did ,it wouldn't work to stop your mac , because of the operating system. Linux dosen't get them either. Besides at 60 I needed to completely learn, how to use a computer again. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
2manybikes said:
MarksA-C said:
Macs are good for just about everything except gaming.
Or Autocad, or Finite Element Analysis

Is it because the OS can't handle it or is it because the software isn't available for a Mac?
I think it is a combination of the two, but probably more of the latter.

In my job, I am classed as a "System Administrator", although in reality I am not an SA, but it puts me in the position of receiving automated emails advising of very specific vulnerabilities of various Computer Operating Systems and commonly used Software Packages. I personally do not favor any OS, Windows, or Unix in all it's flavors (including MAC). I don't care. I can only say that if you are a registered user of any software at any level on your PC and you receive a VALID NOTICE to accept an update of any kind, it will probably include a security fix, and you should not ignore it.

If your OS includes to ability to automatically accept updates, and schedule the timing of the updates, set up the times that your system will accept them, and make sure that your PC is up and running and connected to the internet during those times, so that you will not miss them. My PC is never turned off.

Online security is a very complicated issue. ANY SOFTWARE running on your computer can be vulnerable to hacker/virus attacks, not just your chosen brand label or OS. Don't be complacent. Use a hardware router, run a firewall/virus protection software package, understand "social engineering" and avoid allowing bugs into your system thru email.

Now: The following is My Own View and may or may not have anything to do with reality. Microsoft takes great hits by being so openly public in acknowledging and fixing their vulnerabilities, yet they do. I have to ding them for having the problems in the first place, but at least they openly fix them when they are found. Apple's web site used to have a long list of various security fixes to their software, but IMHO they are now perpetuating the "it can't happen here" idea on their web site, by making the whole issue of update and fixes very vague. (look at their "support" tab on their web site). Apple's OS is a very proprietary version of Unix. Unix, Linux, et. all don't like to admit that they contain security holes just like MS, but they do. I see the warning emails daily. I realize that this can be very controversial and that there are many more versed in the subject of online security than I am. /end of My Own View.

For me, I've come to my opinion on the Mac vs. PC debate on my own experience. I've used a Mac now daily for my job for the past 14 years. I've also run a PC at home during that same time with the exception of this past year (finally gave up on our PC). In all of the years that I have run both types of machines, I would have to say that the Mac products I have used have always been more stable and more consistent than any PC I have used. In all of that time I have never had any issues with viruses of any kind on any of the Macs and have never run virus software on those machines.

The PCs that I have worked on over the years have always had issues with performance degradation as time went on and there was a constant effort involved in cleaning the system out to try to keep the performance levels up. Crashes were always another problem that I dealt with. Installing drivers and the process to remove software was another painful experience with a PC. There's also just a lack of general style and attention to detail that the PC seems to have. I'd be scared to see what a PC and its operating system would look like today if it weren't for the strides that Apple has made in design and U.I.

The only way I can really sum it up is in a simple statement....Mac's just seem to work.

The downside....THEY COST TOO MUCH!!!! :x

Rat Rod, you make some very good points, and I agree.

Apple is able to do those things because they lock down their environment so well, and they are very good at design.

You do make a very good point about having to "clean" the MS environment frequently, and I don't care for that at all.

My previous comments were directed to folks who think that MS is the only software vulnerable to hackers.

Adobe running on any OS can have vulnerabilities for instance. Quicktime wants to update frequently, as does iTunes and I don't even use iTunes, but my kids did.

Well it white and makes me keep my hands clean to operate it......Plus I have gotten the two finger scroll down now , and when I try to use my wife's Toshiba it dosen't work with the two finger scroll. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So Mac or Toshiba its apparent that we can't go through life without one. I keep my pistol close in case mine tries to pull a Matrix on me and turn me into a battery.

I guess a stupid question, why does everyone say PC when it comes to an OS that is not Mac when PC has no bearing on what OS it has, PC stands for personal computer which Mac computers are a personal computer just like any Windows, Linux and so on OS is?

Found this reasoning out on Yahoo answers...

When IBM came out with the first desktop that was more than a toy or a game platform, they called it the IBM Personal Computer (1981). That is where PC came from. IBM decided to have open architecture, meaning it made no secret as to the specs of its components and allowed other companies to make things like disk drives and video boards and RAM for it. It opened up whole industries and made buying components for PCs cheaper because of the competition. Apple on the other hand kept its secrets and would not allow anything not made by Apple to be installed in its computers. So you either had a PC or an Apple.

Basically it's just been a way to differentiate a computer that runs on Windows OS as opposed to an Macintosh machine that runs Apple's OS.

All for marketing purposes. :wink:

Ok but still is a wacky reason to do so and make marketing nonsence :lol: , they don't allow anyone to make stuff for their computers which makes them seem like the government trying to hide something in those alien conspiracy movies or tv shows :lol: .

kngtmat said:
Ok but still is a wacky reason to do so and make marketing nonsence :lol: , they don't allow anyone to make stuff for their computers which makes them seem like the government trying to hide something in those alien conspiracy movies or tv shows :lol: .

Ha Ha...no, just smart to keep all of the 3rd party crap off of their machines so that they actually run well over a long period of time. :lol:

True, but as you said earlier "they cost alot" (or something like that).

My son is a graphical artist, using Maya to produce animated graphics, and no surprise, he is a Mac person. Last year his Mac power supply started failing, and he had to take it to the Apple store to get it fixed. $100+ later he was back in business. I could not resist reminding him, that I would have taken a $20 bill to Fry's to replace my generic PC power supply with one that would be even more powerful than the one I have, and fix it myself. :D :D

I've used both early Macs and PCs, so I have to admit that I like them both, and have no real bias except for my desire for generic open-ness and lower cost.

Back