Completed ratty higgins...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Here's what I have been workin on lately.....
DSCN0961.JPG
DSCN0963.JPG
DSCN0964.JPG
DSCN0965.JPG
DSCN0966.JPG
DSCN0960.JPG

Both bikes are the same year and model and both have Thompson grips! :D

The girls bike I just serviced, cleaned and threw on some 1.9" Kenda K-rads, new chain and some dice valve caps! lol... Was gonna rat her out, but she's too clean...

The boys bike came to me rough so I tried my first oxalic acid bath with all the parts. I then scrubbed it with 0000 steel wool and shot a few layers of gloss clear on it. Smoopy's recommendation for the fork was spot on and he made it easy to get at a good price. Seat came from A.S.Bolt, bars are from Blackout, stem TuckTuck gave me. I picked up a set of Sun MTX rims, love the old school profile, and laced them to a 36 hole blue band kickback to go along with the NOS front bendix hub. Cranks are 175mm Profiles with sealed bearings with a DK Iron Cross sprocket and pedals and lil iron cross valve caps too. lol. Hope ya dig it.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I see a pattern developing here.
Build bikes in pairs to get buy in from the wife.
"These bikes aren't for me sweetheart, they are for US."
Smart man!
Cool builds too.

Ahhh, I see a pattern developing here.
Build bikes in pairs to get buy in from the wife.
"These bikes aren't for me sweetheart, they are for US."
Smart man!
Cool builds too.
Your quite astute! :D It works like a charm too BTW :p After it's maiden voyage I am hooked on the blue (black) band kickbacks. It's got a great loafing about gear and the OD for cruising at normal speeds without spinning your legs off.

Do you happen to know the year on the girl's bike? I just bought one I believe to be just like it, but it had no markings to say what it was. Doesn't even say the brand.

Do you happen to know the year on the girl's bike? I just bought one I believe to be just like it, but it had no markings to say what it was. Doesn't even say the brand.
I believe them to be 49.

The only markings I could find were on the bottom of the crank housing. This is my first antique bike experience, so I am pretty uneducated about it. The bike had been repainted, but I could see the same decals under the paint job, and the same blue paint was under their paint job when I wire brushed it.

Cool, pretty close if not the same bike for sure! If you take a wire brush to the bottom there you will find a full serial number and that will tell ya more. These bikes arent too valuable nor the best made ones but I like em! I kinda wish my girls model was in that kinda shape I woulda ratted thing out fast!

Here's what I have been workin on lately.....View attachment 21644 View attachment 21645 View attachment 21646 View attachment 21647 View attachment 21648 View attachment 21649

Both bikes are the same year and model and both have Thompson grips! :D

The girls bike I just serviced, cleaned and threw on some 1.9" Kenda K-rads, new chain and some dice valve caps! lol... Was gonna rat her out, but she's too clean...

The boys bike came to me rough so I tried my first oxalic acid bath with all the parts. I then scrubbed it with 0000 steel wool and shot a few layers of gloss clear on it. Smoopy's recommendation for the fork was spot on and he made it easy to get at a good price. Seat came from A.S.Bolt, bars are from Blackout, stem TuckTuck gave me. I picked up a set of Sun MTX rims, love the old school profile, and laced them to a 36 hole blue band kickback to go along with the NOS front bendix hub. Cranks are 175mm Profiles with sealed bearings with a DK Iron Cross sprocket and pedals and lil iron cross valve caps too. lol. Hope ya dig it.
I'm diggin it. Good to see our RRB member bike parts going toward a nice project!

Back