Completed Now! Fuji Super 12 - XL frame - for free!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just got home from grabbing a "curb alert" bike off CraigsList and ended up with this super huge framed Fuji for free! It has 27" rims. I'm almost 6 ft and can't straddle the frame without feeling violated! These are the pics that came with the ad.
FujiSports12_zps758f195d.jpg

The head tube is 10 1/2" tall. Add the bearing cups and the screwdown nut and washer and it's almost a foot long!
FujiHeadTube_zps95d5f041.jpg

My first thought, unless someone has a better idea, is to turn this mess into a single speed with coaster brake and keep the front brake for extra stopping power.
FujiDriveTrain_zpsebe38ad7.jpg

I searched and found a thread on Fuji's from 2011 but would appreciate any comments/suggestions on this new project that just landed in my lap before I start tearing it apart. Thanks.

Re: Fuji Super 12 - XL frame - for free!

Cripes man.... that thing is gigantic! I've got a huge "shogun" ten speed. I'm not sure how tall it actually is, but even my 6'4 uncle has a tough time with it.

Ccd

That looks similar to the Fuji Sports 12 that I have on CL right now, but yours is even bigger! It's a 63.5 cm (25") bike with a 35.5" standover height.
I really don't know the age of it though.

What's the standover height of yours? 40 inches or so???!!!!!!!

IMG_1852.jpg

I'm assuming the stand-over height would be the height from the ground up to the top tube? With flat tires that's about 37". The seat tube is about 26 1/4" long, which might explain why it has the number 661 on it (661mm is close to 26.25", I think?) It's awkwardly tall, that's for sure!

I found one of those at the scrapyard a few years back, same color even. Mine wasn't quite that tall though. I think it was a Fuji Gran Tourer if memory serves me right. I know I traded it for a '66 Schwinn Heavy Duty.

My personal opioion is the frame is to tall for a fixed gear..I would leave it as a 10 or 12 speed..I do like em tall ..Neat score

The OP wants to SS it, not FG it. :p I say go for it! It would def make a great SS if you use the bars you have in the pics, and the front brake is a great way to supplement the foot brake. Please post pics when shes all dressed up and ready to go out on her first ride! :D

dang! that could be a deorman bike!

Remember this "curb alert save"?

I cleaned it up to this:

From this:

To this. I saved only the outer chain ring. It'll get up to speed pretty quickly!

At first glance it might look like a fixie, but I'm too old for that! It's a 27" coaster brake rim:

Honestly, not my style of bike, but it is super fast! It feels like it just cuts through the air!

This bike is so tall! I'm nearly 6' and can barely stradle it. Check out the length of this headtube!

Once I figured out how to get the cranks apart, I found that the grease in the bottom bracket was more like powderized dirt! I totally cleaned it all up with a Dremel tool, cleaned the loose bearings, and repacked the whole deal. It's so smooth now!

Man, it sure feels good to take someone else's trash, clean it up, and make something out of it! Again, not my style of bike but saving it from the trash pile and making it rideable again is quite gratifying. Thanks for looking!

Wow that is the tallest Fuji I've ever seen! I got mine at a Cushman/Bicycle show about 13 yrs ago by chance ($40 road bike that fit me, I had to). I've ridden it hundreds of miles since. Mine fits me perfect with my 34" inseam (I haven't ever looked for an actual size printed on it,) but its nowhere near yours. I'm guessing a 6'8" + man would fit yours well.
BTW, these are really well built bicycles, I have no desire for a new expensive road bike.

Latest posts

Back