Commuter bikes at wal-mart?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you guys seen these, or put miles on them? I'm wondering if the 150 dollars is worth shelling out or if I should come across a road frame and put together something of my own.

I need a pic or a link to know which Commuter you're referring to. BUT I will say this, after riding 5+ miles on my re-vamped Cranbrook, I'd make sure it fits you and that the cockpit is not to small. :roll:

Granth said:
........... I'm wondering if the 150 dollars is worth shelling out or if I should come across a road frame and put together something of my own.

this is rrb, you should always roll your own! :mrgreen:

StepChld said:
I need a pic or a link to know which Commuter you're referring to. BUT I will say this, after riding 5+ miles on my re-vamped Cranbrook, I'd make sure it fits you and that the cockpit is not to small. :roll:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-Schw ... e/13398151

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-Road ... e/13398138

I would like to build my own, but don't know how to piece them together bit by bit to be something quality but not cost a fortune. What parts are good/not good and all that.

Depending on how long is your commute, I don't think the Walmart stuff will last very long. You can score a higher quality used bike on Craigslist or a swapmeet and update/mod it.

2WheelFlyer said:
Depending on how long is your commute, I don't think the Walmart stuff will last very long. You can score a higher quality used bike on Craigslist or a swapmeet and update/mod it.
I have to agree 100%. Plus, if something goes wrong w/ the bike that you cannot fix...some bike shops won't work on WM brands due to the cheap parts originally put on. (mine won't at least).

If you have a short, easy commute and you have to leave your bike in a steal-it zone, go for it. If your doing 5 miles one way, and/or in traffic, spend 2x the money at a shop and get 5x the bike. :|

This is one of those open threads that will end up getting a ton of different opinions....but I'll throw this in for thought. Wallyworld bikes are fun to play with and good for cheap exercise like riding around in the neighborhood imo.

If you want a good quality bike for commuting, look on CL as suggested. I bought a womens Schwinn Le Tour on CL dirt cheap the was nearly showroom. I kept an eye on ebay and found a near mint mens Le Tour frame for $75.00. Swapped everything over and serviced it. I also added comfort bars and seat. I'd ride that bike anywhere with no fears of a failure. I have around $110 bucks in it total.

Back