Coming Soon..... D "X"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've finally gotten most everything to do this, and am about to begin the "X" Project. :shock:

I will post the frame this evening (If time permits)...

It's a 45/46 DX frame (the 4th one bought), and will be a load of fun. I had first bought one without a kickstand, the second one with, but with damaged rear stays, then the third one with good rear stays that has been built temporarily, and then this one to fulfill what I had in mind for the first one. The one without a kickstand may end up in another soon to be thought out project. The damaged one was going to a friend, but he never showed up for it, so it may get some much needed surgery soon.

Keep watching..

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Photos of the frame.... A little bit rough for now.....
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

dude
i love those frames

excellent bike

Well, today was the beginning ....
Everything to be colored in some way went to be colored... in some way. Frame, fork legs and steering tube, chainguard, tank, and the rack.

That may be a little too much information for now..... :shock:

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Re: Coming Soon..... D "X" Project

Update - Camera is dead. :roll:
I got the frame and most all the rest back this afternoon and it is VERY hard even for me, to believe that it's the same one. It came out absolutely gorgeous! I am going to charge the camera batteries tonight and see if I can get a shot or two tomorrow. I need to get the front wheel together, another tomorrow project. Most all the rest of the needed parts are here, and I'll be digging them out over the weekend.

This is gonna be REALLY nice! (moreso than I thought !)

The only part that was not up to snuff is the chainguard, and the coater is going to redo it and see if it can be made better. If not, I'll be giving him another one to try. The one I gave him was alot like the frame... Straight, but VERY rough. The frame color/texture covered that nicely, but the chainguard is not the same color, and without texture it came out rather wierd. I hope the redo works out with that one because I would have to do some major league straightening on another one before handing it off. I have a couple more but they are a little denty/benty.

LATE EVENING UPDATE: Pulled 3 other chainguards, and the best of them I didn't even know was there. It is pretty much straight, so I'll call the coater and see if we can slip it in instead of the rough one. I wish I had remembered it being here before taking all the parts down to him. Sat and straightened the others as well. Now I need to get the tanks out that are slightly dinged up and un-ding them. Maybe tomorrow night.

If I can find it tomorrow, I am going to try and get a rear fender cut for this project. Kept thinking about it, and just feel like it needs a short one at least. After the Toy ride and getting the joy of riding back to the point of origin (almost 6 miles!) in the rain without any fenders, I kinda think they may not be a terrible thing... provided they are cool. Camera batteries are charging!!

Hope to have some teaser photos up tomorrow..
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Well.....
Here's a small picture to give some indication of the direction of this one...

More to come on this as things progress...

Here is a shot of a DX without a built in kickstand.. as Hooch mentioned. This one is actually newer than the one I am presently building.. by about 5 or 6 years. The standless one is a '51, the one being built is a '45 or '46. I believe it is a 46 more strongly, as A as the first serial number digit would have probably gone to 99999, then B would be up. The production for 45 was leass than 100,000, so I think '46 is probably right. Who knows????? (stinkin' fire!)
This one will probably end up as something eventually! I did not notice it didn't have a kickstand until I recieved it after the purchase. ARRGH!

Well... Bitten again.
I didn't get the chainguard back yesterday as it had some issues with the coating. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that there was a similar issue with the fork legs too. I got the frame out today, and after taking the photos, went to doing stuff to get ready to put it together. Cleaned the cup mounting surfaces, and put the mystery headbadge in place, went to get the fork legs to put the fork together, and found that they have issues as well. AARRRGGH!

Oh well, I'll drop them off early in the week and try again eithe a weeknight or next weekend.

I am excited beyond belief, but these little setbacks are definitely getting to me.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Updated!!!! ..... D "X" Project

The project took it's turn on the stand today... Here are some photos of the progression from the frame to a bike...

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Updated ..... D "X" Project

Forgot to hit the whole side shot....

And a reminder of the "Before"

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

That turned out great! I love the color and the Thick Brick tire combo. I have an old Columbia that was a similar color from the factory. I have been debating if I should keep that color or not. I think you have convinced me to keep the factory color.

Boardtrack fan said:
That turned out great! I love the color and the Thick Brick tire combo. I have an old Columbia that was a similar color from the factory. I have been debating if I should keep that color or not. I think you have convinced me to keep the factory color.

Those tires have been sitting here for about 3 years awaiting this project to come to fruition. I have been gathering the pieces for it for that long, and had this whole concept in my head at that point. The tires came from the bike that is named for my signature here, Rat Royale. That was a Felt Scythe the became something a little more. It is posted in here somewhere..

The color... Well, after some deep thought, I guess could be called Hammered Blueberry.. The second layer of powdercoat on the frame is Candy Blue, but the base (Hammertone Silver) is different on the frame compared to the other parts. The lighter (smoother) parts are "near-chrome", second coated with bassboat silver (clear with suspended coarse metallic), and then with the candy blue. I like the way it came out, but we did have some issues with a couple of pieces. The bike has still got to be pinstriped, and the same person, "The Kid" who did the Rat Royale bike will do this one (I hope!)

The toughest part was the 24" 36 hole S-2 rim for the rear tire. This is laced to a Bendix 2 speed kickback. The front is a 26" S-2 with a Phantom re-pop hub. I think they helped with the way it came out... considerably. I was leaning toward (and still am thinking about) a front hub type brake (presently mounted on another project sitting here). The clean front looks pretty good to me though, so it will probably stay as is. The basic conceot to begin with was patterned after one of LocoJoe's bikes. He does some really nice stuff, and a lot of his stuff sticks in my head.

By the way, the kickstand still has to be done also. I didn't realize that '46 was a "one year only" proposition. It has a different angle off the frame, and is a tapered (Pencil) stand, I'll figure this out over the next week or so.

Thanks again,
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

this looks awesome man sorry i thought i commented it
love the thick brick tires better than the kenda tires the just look more correct!
last 24 x3 tire bike i built was just too heavy lol

Got a couple of photos after the initiation ride this weekend.
The color is slightly brighter in the sun.. :lol:
The ride went astonishingly well, it is VERY quiet and smooth, and the shift works fine. Oh yeah, and it fits like a glove!

I love this stuff!
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Back