Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of great suggestions! Keep'em coming. :happy:

G-Matt, I really like the looks of that one. Just ordered one to test out! :thumbsup:
flexroute-proof-300x300.jpg

I wish this was offered in a side by side double clamp.

Stick-on jobbers...not the prettiest but prolly ok on a dark color.

TF-BR7846-1.jpg

You ever figure out your front brake deal? There are older style (potts modable) short reach calipers out there. I ordered one from the UK the other night.

You ever figure out your front brake deal? There are older style (potts modable) short reach calipers out there. I ordered one from the UK the other night.
I believe these lateral pull Campagnolo TT U-Brake Rear Road Brakes are going to work. I haven't ordered one yet but probably will this week.
lateral_pull_rear_brake.jpg

As I mentioned yesterday, the trailing end of the tank was getting a little fragile looking to me after I drilled for the cables. Normally the tank would extend beyond the seat tube which added strength, but with the rack it had to just butt into the seat tube.
So I mixed some two part epoxy paste called Goop and filled the ends. To get a molded fit, I did each half one at a time with it on the frame. To keep it from bonding to the frame I used some very thin foil that came from a chocolate wrapper. The foil worked great for forming around the tubes. After it cured, it separated from the frame without any problems.
100_9550_zpssz2tjnch.jpg

The white thing is a piece of modeling clay that I rolled up and put in where the cable would be. It will be removed later to leave a cavity for the cable.

Last edited:
As I mentioned yesterday, the trailing end of the tank was getting a little fragile looking to me after I drilled for the cables. Normally the tank would extend beyond the seat tube which added strength, but with the rack it had to just butt into the seat tube.
So I mixed some two part epoxy paste called Goop and filled the ends. To get a molded fit, I did each half one at a time with it on the frame. To keep it from bonding to the frame I used some very thin foil that came from a chocolate wrapper. The foil worked great for forming around the tubes. After it cured, it separated from the frame without any problems.
100_9550_zpssz2tjnch.jpg

The white thing is a piece of modeling clay that I rolled up and put in where the cable would be. It will be removed later to leave a cavity for the cable.
There you go using everyday materials in a very scientific and artistic way! Nice work....and not a welder in sight....haha! :grin:

Thanks, I'm on the hunt for some type of clean looking cable clamps to secure the shift cables to the frame.

After all of the grinding to fit the tank to the frame and now drilling for the cables, the rear end of the tank is getting very thin in places. It may not be necessary, but I'll reinforce it on the inside to make myself feel better about it.

Why not explore the option of running the housing through the seat/chain stays? I have done it on a number of builds,It's worked out great and no need for extra clutter.I start by drilling a hole where I want the housing to enter/exit the frame. Then just gradually turn the drill/drill bit to the desired angle to make a nice clean exit/entry. Just a thought. Love the build. I would like to utilize one of your tanks for a build in the near future!
-Kreep-

Nice work on strengthening the ends.
I was curious about the GOOP because that is the name of the hand cleaner I use. I googled it and it looks like GOOP is the name of the company, not the products. They have a full line of goopy products.

Very cool :thumbsup:
:)
I don't know who invented two part epoxy,but I'd like to hang out with them and the person who invented duct tape. Good stuff.
This stuff is very easy to work with and after it sets up, You can grind, sand, drill, etc.!
Size by side, wondering if wire looms might work if you had some way to mount them.
Thanks for the suggestion! I looked at those, but they are for spark plug wires which are larger diameter than bike cable housing.
There you go using everyday materials in a very scientific and artistic way! Nice work....and not a welder in sight....haha! :grin:
It's a challenge to resist cutting metal parts and having stuff welded when you have access to such things. :13:
Why not explore the option of running the housing through the seat/chain stays? I have done it on a number of builds,It's worked out great and no need for extra clutter.I start by drilling a hole where I want the housing to enter/exit the frame. Then just gradually turn the drill/drill bit to the desired angle to make a nice clean exit/entry. Just a thought. Love the build. I would like to utilize one of your tanks for a build in the near future!
-Kreep-
It would be nice to completely conceal the cables, but it would require three cables passing through the seat post at the end of the tank and even then I would have to route two cables past the brake caliper bolt and make a sharp turn with very little room. :(
rear%20brake_zpsotffsxal.jpg

Let me know when you get ready for a tank, I try to keep them stocked ahead so that they ship right away. :)
Nice work on strengthening the ends.
I was curious about the GOOP because that is the name of the hand cleaner I use. I googled it and it looks like GOOP is the name of the company, not the products. They have a full line of goopy products.
Thanks. Wouldn't want to mistake this Goop for hand cleaner! :21:

Is there room to put the brake at the chain stays?
Routing the cables thru the lower frame tube...

Carl

Is there room to put the brake at the chain stays?
Routing the cables thru the lower frame tube...

Carl
I looked at that before deciding on mounting the brake where it is now but decided against it. I would have to deal with passing through the BB for one thing and mainly I like it in the space between the seat stays and the rack. I think when it's done the cables will be pretty unnoticeable.

Today was a good day for the CCC! I didn't get to do very much work but I did find a couple of things at a flea market that I have been scouting out from the beginning. I'm not ready to reveal what they are just yet, but it's a cool piece of the puzzle that I had pretty much given up on finding.:banana:

Also, I have decided how I'm going to route the cables into the tank at the front. I had tried one way yesterday that I wasn't happy with but this evening I spent some time playing with it and came up with a cool looking solution! Because of the tank, I'm going to do something that I've never seen done before.

I googled some images of bikes to see how the pros route their cables and realized that even the expensive newest bikes have some messy looking cables.o_O

Here's a couple of examples:
specialized-crossroads-sport-2013-hybrid-bike.jpg

253_buyuk_zoom.jpg

Hopefully I'll get to work on it tomorrow and get some pix.

I would never have thought that I could get excited about routing brake and shift cables, but I'm stoked about how this is going to look! :)
I drilled the tank and did a mock up using some random length housings off of some junk bikes. The stem and handle bar are cheap stand-ins also. I haven't decided on those yet. The set-up functions great with no binding when I tested turning the fork and the cables slide through the bends easily.

I also mounted a saddle to have a look at the whole picture (at this point):
95e63245-92a2-4b9c-98f4-ea9d64b7ac18_zps9gnb3mxi.jpg

No clutter!
Columbia%20cable%20route3_zpskwylzbaf.jpg

Last edited:
Back