Columbia 🐪 CamelBack - ‘21 2n1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At it again…the 1” threadless headset that I sourced is for a newer frame. The cup OD are 30mm. The Camelback frame head tube counterbore is 33mm or so. I cut down a shim from 1-1/4” copper pipe sleeve with a width equal to the counterbore depth. I also made angular cuts on shim until the shrunken diameter would fit the head tube, then pressed the headset cups in. Seems pretty snug.
View attachment 236523
View attachment 236524
I then proceeded to install the 20” fork and stem with grease for color review.
Stem height is in flux till I get wheels and bars back on.
I have bamboo frame that I built up. I think some of paint detail was influenced by it.
View attachment 236525View attachment 236526View attachment 236527View attachment 236528
Colors look great!

Colors look great!
Hey thanks!!! I should have kept track of my time. One of these time = money pits. But Oh the satisfaction.
Great job on the paint! 👍🏼😎
Hey thanks!!! I’ve had several of these buildoff bikes powder coated, but this one probably cost more in terms of hours.

I noticed the ‘21 Camelback has hit 4K views. Still not much chatter. Wonder how many Bots 🤖.

Last edited:
Great job on the shims and the paint!
Thanks, I appreciate that coming from the master builder. I think the copper will hold up as it’s mainly going to be in compression vertically and laterally. It should tighten up any gap present.
Great color scheme; well executed. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks, much appreciated, says one educator to another. Should be one off, one of a kind.
I’d like to see it done as well. Next big thing involves accessing the rear wheel and whether to include the tank or not. I’d like to retain the front light so need a battery holder somewhere.

Great job on the shims and the paint!
I agree with TRM. Paint looks real good both in selection and application. Regarding the steering tube shim, I have had very good success on the repair of rear axle shafts where the axle bearing has spun on the axle.
I would take a sharpened metal ..... punch and peen the surface area in the head tube where the head tube and brg body would meet (may not be possible in this instance). The brg body might be easier to peen than the HT. Then I would apply copious amounts of loctite green bearing retainer (There are few different "greens") and press it in before drying (basically following mfg directions). If the gaps aren't toooo big,... she'll hold.

I agree with TRM. Paint looks real good both in selection and application. Regarding the steering tube shim, I have had very good success on the repair of rear axle shafts where the axle bearing has spun on the axle.
I would take a sharpened metal ..... punch and peen the surface area in the head tube where the head tube and brg body would meet (may not be possible in this instance). The brg body might be easier to peen than the HT. Then I would apply copious amounts of loctite green bearing retainer (There are few different "greens") and press it in before drying (basically following mfg directions). If the gaps aren't toooo big,... she'll hold.
Thanks!
So if Loctite Green for retaining bearings is a real deal what’s the actual name of the product? There are 514 references on the Loctite web page for Loctite Green.

Yea, I went to their website for the 1st time in a couple of years and it is out of control....I couldn't find anything but everything...
In the past I have produced small miracles using the 638 compound, but if I were doing it today, I would probably use the 660. Since you are using a non-ferrous shim, an additional filler/surface prep may be necessary but you might get by w/o it. Here is a link you may find useful. There is a step by step guide to assist.
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/retaining-compounds/loctite_6600.html
They don't mention the peening process but I am a BIG FAN of doing it. That link is here.
https://www.mrosupply.com/blog/loose-bearing-race-how-to-deal-with-it/
If any problems, let me know.....

Yea, I went to their website for the 1st time in a couple of years and it is out of control....I couldn't find anything but everything...
In the past I have produced small miracles using the 638 compound, but if I were doing it today, I would probably use the 660. Since you are using a non-ferrous shim, an additional filler/surface prep may be necessary but you might get by w/o it. Here is a link you may find useful. There is a step by step guide to assist.
https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/retaining-compounds/loctite_6600.html
They don't mention the peening process but I am a BIG FAN of doing it. That link is here.
https://www.mrosupply.com/blog/loose-bearing-race-how-to-deal-with-it/
If any problems, let me know.....
Thank you for the clarification, might be useful to other builders as well.
Good info!

Tackled cleaning up the long spring saddle. Frame is a mix of chrome and rust. It looks better than it did, some shine and some patina. I cleaned the seat pan, scuffed up for some primer and added a coat of Hammered Black. I don’t plan to cover it as it is the single pan type with hold down perforating fingers for seat cover material.
IMG_3917.jpeg
IMG_3918.jpeg
IMG_3919.jpeg

——————————————————
Dad and young one…
IMG_3915.jpeg

IMG_3914.jpeg

Thinking that the rear wheel is the next task to deal with.

Last edited:
I put the the saddle/seat back together. Chrome, rust and hammered black.
IMG_3922.jpeg
IMG_3924.jpeg
IMG_3925.jpeg
IMG_3923.jpeg

Last edited:
Did some assembly on the frame, crank, fork, stand and bars. Rear wheel on tap for overhaul, maybe new spokes.
IMG_3927.jpeg
IMG_3929.jpeg
IMG_3930.jpeg
IMG_3931.jpeg

After looking at this assembled, I’m thinking that the crank and chainring could used some of the hammered black paint…

IMG_3932.jpeg
IMG_3933.jpeg
IMG_3934.jpeg
IMG_3936.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike is looking great. I really like the set of bars. Where did you find them?
They came from eBay you might try this search:
CROSSBAR bicycle Handlebars 27.5" wide Fits Schwinn Columbia ETC. Cruiser BiKES
A bit pricey but if you do a watch you might get a lower price offer.

Last edited:
I like the hammered black. Maybe while you've got it out, the stem and large spacer as well? I agree on the crank too. Saddle looks great on this build!

I took a closer look at the rear wheel and hub just now. The New Departure hub was working and braking when the bike was together. The wheel runs pretty true with a triple step rim, all the spokes and 1” nipples. The wheel assembly would clean up sum and I could mask and paint rim.
My original thought was to re-spoke the wheel but the hub is so crusty I hate to spend time and money. Guess I’d never really looked close at hub shell. I may have a replacement hub or two if I can find them.
IMG_3949.jpeg
IMG_3952.jpeg
IMG_3951.jpeg
IMG_3953.jpeg
IMG_3954.jpeg

In digging through my shed I found this 100 year anniversary Schwinn coaster 36 hole brake hub. 1995 N0S hub I picked up years ago. I have an Ichi Bikes 10 tooth skip tooth adapter cog I could use with it.
Sounds a bit sacrilegious putting a new Schwinn 100 year anniversary hub in a 102 year old Columbia bike but maybe that’s a solution…a little bling bringing up the rear.
IMG_3957.jpeg
IMG_3956.jpeg

Last edited:
I pulled the crank out carefully to control grease contamination on crank arm. Pretty much successful, removed a few smudges with solvent. I masked over the grease in the bottom bracket section section of crank and shot some primer.
IMG_3958.jpeg

Following Rust-O-Leum’s dry and topcoat instructions I hit it with some matte hammered black. So some wear in will be required with the extra paint. Rust-be-Gone for a while.
IMG_3963.jpeg
IMG_3960.jpeg

Latest posts

Back