Colson looptail lawn ornament

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought this...

IMG_3210.JPG

To get this...

IMG_3211.JPG

The bike was $20 and I've seen those little badges sell for more than that and I kind of wanted one for a while. Didn't need the bike but i figured it might look good in one of my flower beds...

Hmmmm. I have this left over, now what?

IMG_0550.JPG

I started looking it over and noticed everything was really solid and not beat up. I liked the peaked fenders with the way cool stripes. The frame was an interesting design too. It was plenty rusty but not pitted at all. More like that great barn find patina... It was growing on me fast and then I remembered I had this awful thing...

IMG_00448.JPG

My first attempt at a rat bike. A 1933 or so Sams-Co, DP Harris, Snyder, Rollfast something or other. It was ok but kind of clumsy in appearance and didn't ride all that well. It was a nice cache of ready-to-use parts though. Hmmm....

Well, let's strip the Colson down and see if any surprises await...

IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0555.JPG

With a little PB Blaster, everything came right apart!

IMG_0557.JPG

Looks like it was originally red...

IMG_0556.JPG

With the frame stripped of everything and the ugly red Rollfast supplying most of the parts, I was good to go. I did want to do a few other upgrades. Let's see what's in the parts bins...

I wanted a three piece crank and had this bottom bracket adapter sitting around doing nothing.

IMG_0558.JPG

I like truss rods and had these. Not sure what they are off of...

IMG_0560.JPG

These wheels came from an old Head mountain bike with a very stuck seatpost that ended up in the scrap pile. Those aluminum rims should polish up nicely.

IMG_0561.JPG

Tried these Nashbar Wah-Wah pedals out on a buildoff bike but they just didn't look right. I think they'll be good here...

IMG_0566.JPG

The fork was a little tweaked so out come the expensive tools! Looks good now...

IMG_0562.JPG

These Campy cranks were from last year's buildoff bike (Earl Grey) but never looked right on it. They should work with this one and the offset should be correct to work with my chainguard.

IMG_0480.JPG

Time to tear the Rollfast apart and get everything fitted...

These bars came off of a pre-war Schwinn DX that I turned into a Klunker...

IMG_0563.JPG

Love Klaxon horns! Had to use this.

IMG_0564.JPG

The chainguard from the other bike was coaxed into fitting on this one. Took a bit of finesse to get everything happy...

IMG_0565.JPG

With the rest of the parts fitted, we now have something that resembles a bike!

colsonrat1.jpg

Still needed a light. I found this one tucked away under a workbench...

IMG_0567.JPG

Last edited:
Back