Colored wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a question. I have a Hercules by Raleigh that I would like to run colored tires on. The problem is, the bike runs 26 x 1 3/8 tires. I don't know anything about metric sizes, but can I lace a pair of 700 series rims to my hubs so that I can run colored tires?

Measure up the radius and width from the rim/tire combo you want and see if they will fit up to the underside of the fork crown and the rear seatstays/caliper bracket.
FWIW, IIRC, since 700's are 'supposed' to be somewhat comparable to the old 27"ers I stuck the old Schwinn Varsity rims/tires into one of my Nottingham frames and it seemed too close for my comfort so I went with 26ers, lots of tires available in that dia. and I dont know as it will make much difference in the amount of real riding that bike will get. I have a coaster brake wheelset to use so I didnt have to do a relace, though.

Ok, here is what I have and what I want to do. What is on the bike is 26x1 3/8 with a coaster brake. I am going to powder coat the frame and forks white/cream, and I would like to have off white tires to go with it. Madmax, I looked at the site you posted, I have added them to my list of good sites, but I didn't see even the white ones you had. If I missed them my other half says I'm blind too... Gcrank, my closest bike shop is 30 miles away, and out of the 4 of them that I have called, they ALL say that the only colored ones they can get are either 700's or 26x1.75 or larger and that they won't fit my rims. Which is the reason for my former question. Chimichanga, if you can get those 1 3/8 in off white (#1) or just white (#2), I am ready to buy. Thanks guys for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks gcrank! those tires are exactly what I was looking for. I fact,I just got off the phone from ordering a set from my usual shop. I am hoping to take the frame and fork to the powder coaters this Wednesday. Anxious to get going! Thanks again.

Back