Coasters Bikes (non RRB members)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Larry - Tandem

larry_tandem.jpg

Re: Coasters Bikes

i really like the rear steer thing goin on, not to mention all the cool lines too :D

Bicyclerick said:
Who rides in front? Lora or Dan LOL Nice tandem Dan.
I DO, although we did a short test ride with her up front and she handled it OK, but it was scary.
This is my "rat tandem". Got it at an auction about a year ago, 60 bucks. The nearly 60 year old son of the builder said his dad built it some 50+ years ago using some old bikes. There were no badges so I dont know what kind of bikes were used, the boys frame looks Cleveland Welding to me. But it had skiptooth sprockets that were different sizes on the cranks, so the cranks were out of sycn, it was difficult to ride and we rode it in the Coasters Tandem Night pub ride last year and blew out the one of the old tires I had put on it.
So for this years Tandem Night II, It got 2 new Typhoon tires mounted on some S2 wheels. I changed out the sprockets so all 3 are the same size later model Schwinns ( now I have some skiptooth chain for some future projects ), it pedals in sycn now. Added headlight and taillight made from old 1930s car cowllights, with LED flashlight guts and battery pack inside and a switch on the bottom. Changed out the seats to the "big butt" seats from exercize bikes. Made the truss bars from 3/8" tubing, the the truss bracket was already there. Made the mud flaps from license plates. Found a large flask or maybe it was a canteen and I made a holder for it, this is a "tank bike". Put a bell on the back bars for Lora and a blue steering wheel knob ( she wouldn't let me put on a knob with a girl in it ) up front for me.
We rode on Tandem Night II, and had a blast, I WAS UP FRONT. But there were a couple of daring people who rode on back for short runs with Lora in control, SCARY.
Dangerous Dan
dan_tandem1.jpg

dan_tandem2.jpg

You guys always have some fun rides. Can't wait to see everyone in Sept. Thank Steve for advertising for me down in Wichita. PEDDLERS
Midwestbikefest015.jpg

Midwestbikefest013.jpg

Hi--I found a blue-and-white Schwinn coaster in my garage (really!). It's obviously nothing like as gorgeous as these bikes are--fenders are dented, the whole thing's a little rusty. Needs new tires to be rideable. But it's still a cool bike. The bike shop guy says Schwinn hasn't made this style chain and chain wheel (if I'm using the right term) since the 1940s at the latest. I would keep it... but it's very heavy and I live in a hilly town (near Boston). Does anyone have suggestions on where I could sell it and how much I should ask? It seems like a vintage Schwinn enthusiast might want it.

Thanks!

yeah the chain / sprocket and rear hub, are desireable. not too common any more. (as well as the rest of the bike) :mrgreen:

Finally took some photos. Pardon the terrible (cellphone) quality. What IS this? The fenders are hugely fat.

2618274695_16e79bfe2e.jpg

2618274973_c17021bbc7.jpg

2618274799_94b7019c1b.jpg

2618274623_66b49f309c.jpg

2619098066_4dab221245.jpg

2618274841_eee6f709fa.jpg

p.s. I looked around and found what looks like a serial number on... I don't know the name of the part, unsurprisingly, but the number was on the underside of the mechanism holding the pedals. S317106, I think.

Back