Coaster brake noise

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shimano 3 speed hub on my electra that is quite fairly new actually.

It's been making this muffled donkey sounding noise when the brakes are applied, more so when going down a hill and applying the brakes it keeps going hee----haw hee-haw and the sound kind of rotates with the tire...like a funky vinyl record.

Is this any cause for concern?

Thanks

cruisehard said:
If it's new then it may well just need to be "broken in". I have a Shimano coaster hub on my Electra, and for the first 5-10 miles it made a bit of whining noise while braking downhill. Works just fine now.

Haha yeah, it seems like everything on these Electras need to be "broken in" going from the squeaky sounds of the seat to the coaster brakes.

Yeah...the sound it makes is kind of hard to describe, but a hoarse like whiny, dragging sound I guess describes it too. Though I don't use the breaks TOO much...I usually just kind of slow down at lights by not pedaling...kind of like taking your foot off the gas (if that makes sense). It's the hills that I go down that lead into intersections that start making me nervous when the noises begin.

But hopefully you're right...I mean since it's a new bike and all. Otherwise I guess I can take it in to a bike shop to have it looked at (or greased like scrumblero advised) if it doesn't stop.

Thanks guys

^ Are you guys serious or is this some sort of prank that may not end well?

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

..take two of these and call me in the morning.

Really though, I have had several Nexus 3 speeds that do the same thing. Sometimes it gos away as the hub "brakes in" (sorry, couldn't help myself). I talked to a couple LBS's because of my concern and the consensus is that exactly. They are just breaking in and it's normal. Hope this helps.

Petrohead said:
..take two of these and call me in the morning.

Really though, I have had several Nexus 3 speeds that do the same thing. Sometimes it gos away as the hub "brakes in" (sorry, couldn't help myself). I talked to a couple LBS's because of my concern and the consensus is that exactly. They are just breaking in and it's normal. Hope this helps.

Waiting on those pills :wink: ...I went riding with my friend today on mountain bikes and he cut me off by accident and my front tire clipped his rear and the bike flipped forward and I flew off the bike...took a strong tumble on my left ankle, knee and shoulder and hand. Nothing serious thankfully.

Thanks for the info about the hub, makes me feel better to hear similar situations.

I have three that are making a howling noise when you stop . If I come up with a fix I will post it for you. :wink: You apparently aren't alone.

Back