Coaster Brake catching UPDATE :(

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After putting new tires on my bike I took it out for a spin. As usual I forgot to bolt the coaster brake back to the frame, so I .... near racked myself. The wheel got locked so I walked it home. I thought I got things back in action, but the coaster brake seems to be catching as I pedal which results in a bad metal click/pop sound. If I flip the bike over and pedal slowly by hand the wheel just stops.

Does this mean the coaster brake is too tight? Did I maybe ruin something when I slammed on the brakes without attached the coaster brake properly? Help!

Re: Coaster Brake catching???!!!!!!!!!!!

Usually a sound like that means you're hub is much too tight, though it can also mean that something is broken. I would imagine that, when you slammed on the brake, one cone on the axle held in its position and the one on the brake side was probably wrenched down some by the downward motion of the brake arm. Try taking the chain off and turning the rear wheel's cog by hand; if it seems to grind or does not easily turn backwards or forwards, you need to loosen the assembly up a little.

I think I've pretty much sealed the deal today: my local bike shop pisses me off! Aside from the fact that a triple spoke wrench costs 10 bones everywhere else in the area, but is 15 there, they just aren't all that helpful--mainly because they cater to rich people that want expensive racing bikes for the weekend. I actually get dirty looks when I bring my bike in the shop! So, I brought my bike in today and 1. They talked to me like I knew nothing of bikes, 2. They were like here we fixed it even though I'm saying no... so I left a bit frustrated... I'm a bit frustrated. :x

I've tried loosening things up but the brake still catches--so maybe I did bust something, now I need to find someone who is familiar with these Nexus hubs...

I'll keep messing with it for now.

Loosening would help on a standard coaster but now you said NEXUS. That is a whole different animal. 3 or 7 speed? 3 speed try Uncle Stretch as I think he has taken these apart before.

Took cman's advice and messaged Uncle Stretch. Unfortunately I still couldn't get things working so I've taken it to the shop. :oops:

It was funny--I really didn't want to leave it there. I just kept standing next to it, which was weird. Kinda like dropping off your dog at the vet or something...

That's no fun. Hopefully it doesnt' cost you an arm and leg

If yours is a newer shimano hub, you may be able to get all the parts cheap. On mine, I had a broken axle. I went to the thrift store where they had tons of those little kid's sidewalk bikes. Same exact hub. I bought a 16 inch wheeled bike for 4.99 and changed out the guts on my 26 inch wheel in 5 minutes.

Now I see it in an earlier post. Must be age catching up to me.

I've had the cruiser at my somewhat local bike shop since Friday and got another dose of bad news today.

The mechanic has been on the phone with Shimano, rebuilt the hub ...and the problem continues!

So Shimano recommends replacing the internals--which is somehow cheaper than a new Nexus 7 (or used as far as I can tell). So bummer--bikeless for another week at least. :(

Back