Clear coat flat black?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing my first build and have chosen flat black for the frame. Do you seal or clear coat flat black?

FYI, I'm using spray can Krylon.

No clear on my flat black.
9177acba4953bd9bd60a1efba58b8c2a.jpg

If you want to clear coat it spray a few coats of a gloss clear then a final coat of a flat clear. While this is a little different than a pure flat look it might give you the look you want with the benefit of a clear coat.

The trick with single stage flat black (not rattle can) is to mix the clear with the black. This is an old hot rodders trick to get a surface that can be cleaned.

The trick with single stage flat black (not rattle can) is to mix the clear with the black. This is an old hot rodders trick to get a surface that can be cleaned..

Does mixing the clear coat into the flat toughen up the finish any? I'm in a similar fix as lastplace29er, only with a Black Hawk Storm Grey...the coats blend and scratches are an easy touch up, but the scratches are far too easy to come by, alas. :(

Mixing clear with the flat paint helps to eliminate the annoying "chalking" when the paint is wiped down. This has been a standard old school practice for painting auto engine bays and parts.

You don't need to clear it but......my son cleared his with a satin clear and it helps protect the black from scratches quite a bit.

Everyone makes a flat clear now days. I have had great luck with BarbQue paint. Its tough as nails and has been on one of mine for over 7 years now with no chalking or other issues.

Back