Cleaning Whitewalls!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know how to clean whitewall tires?

Ive got a set of 26x2.125 whitewalls that have some rust stains on them. I want to get the white part of the tires as white as I possibly can!

Any help is appreciated!

Wesley's white wall cleaner.....Any automotive store. Or Brillo pads.

KOTA said:
Wesley's white wall cleaner.....Any automotive store. Or Brillo pads.

Awesome. I'll try the brillo pads first. Ive got some of those at home.

I was mainly wondering if someone had a secret formula or something for cleaning. I was a little worried about staining the tires worse!

I'd go along with the Westley's Bleche-Wite. I've been using it for years on the raised-white letters on my truck tires. Stuff works great. Spray on, lightly scrub with an automotive-style brush and rinse off. It turns my dirty black lettering bright white in a matter of about a minute per tire. 8)

I've been married to a wonderful woman for 33 years , but I would probably be divorced pretty quickly the first time I put some tires in her washing machine. :shock: I have a Huffy with whitewalls that have mold on them . They cleaned up nicely when I first got the bike and I have scrubbed them several times since.The tires develop small black spots on the white between cleanings. I have tried several different products , including straight , undiluted chlorine bleach , but the spots still return. Guess l'll just clean that bike more often than my others .

In my experience, white walls sometimes have a bit of a waxy coating on them and when you try to wash off any grease or rust marks they have a tendency to just smear even more. I've also tried the bleach white on some of my white walls and it didn't help. Somehow this coating resists the bleach and water.

A lot of the time I end up taking a dry old white T-shirt and rubbing on the mark really hard and stuff usually comes off. The tire also has to be dry when you do this.

thom said:
I've been married to a wonderful woman for 33 years , but I would probably be divorced pretty quickly the first time I put some tires in her washing machine. :shock: I have a Huffy with whitewalls that have mold on them . They cleaned up nicely when I first got the bike and I have scrubbed them several times since.The tires develop small black spots on the white between cleanings. I have tried several different products , including straight , undiluted chlorine bleach , but the spots still return. Guess l'll just clean that bike more often than my others .

I bet thats the mold...You cannot kill mold with bleach
Edit-Maybe a mold killer will do it?

i dont know how it will react with a tire though
So dont take my word for it...Try hitting an old tire

Back