Cleaned a rusty chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success story. I have this nasty rusted and frozen skip tooth chain that most would have junked but its a skip tooth and I only have one. It was a rusty dried up ball stored for over 50 years. Here is how I cleaned it up.
First I unfolded what would move and sprayed it with WD40, lot of it. worked it back and forth trying to loosen it up. I got 80 % loose so I balled it up and put it in a plastic container, sprayed more wd40 all over it and closed the lid. One week later I pulled it out. Holding it up I loosen all the links that I can. a few are still stuck. I loosen the stuck ones with 2 blocks of wood an a hammer. Lay the chain across one block with the stuck link in the middle, lay the other block on top and tap with a hammer, this worked on all the links. OK chain is now loose, but still very dirty. Now I spray it on all sides with EZ Off oven cleaner, wait 2 minutes and brush it with a tooth brush, spray on some more EZ Off, brush some more then rinse with lots of water. Now towel dry. I could not believe how well it came out. Every other link is still blued, there is very little rust on it and the links all move like new. I oiled it up and put it in a plastic box for storage till the bike is done. I wish I had taken before and after pictures but when I'm cleaning things I never think of that, plus I did not think it would come out so well. So if you have a dead chain, don't give up on it.

sounds great. I've had success with soaking them in kerosene for a month or so.

I am not sure of the availability of EvapoRust in your area, but the stuff works wonders if you can get your hands on some. I have successfully cleaned up quite a few parts on my 1950 chevy that I once thought were destined for the scrap bin.

Did a similar thing recently and it came out looking nice and clean. After a few spins around the block, a link snapped on me (or maybe it was a pin). Even if a rusty chain cleans up well, you may not know what lurks underneath so you may want to pedal lightly!

Had that happen to my rat. The link broke when trying to peddel to had up a hill. I had cleaned up with vinegar. So like Jawon said, be carefull.

I have a few skiptoothers. And have had many 1/8 X 1/2 that are frozen. I wash/soak in mineralspirits,rinse,dry,then a few days in oxalic acid. They look new, work like almost new. PB Blaster bath, and ride 'em. Far...Im not afraid of them breaking . They were made better than the new junk ya buy for 7 dollars at the LBS. JMHO

Back