Chromoly OPC, what is available?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I haven't searched much but I see that Redline offers a chromoly one piece crank, about $35.

I have (AFAIK) 1 old chromoly crank off the old GT Mach I I've been cannibalizing for years. I have one more old BMX I took apart and I'll check that crank out.

So, what other options are there for chromoly one piece cranks that may be cheaper than the Redline, or should I be able to find used pieces cheaper?

Black Ops brand, the logo will come off in seconds if you use toothpaste/fast orange/chrome polish and an old toothbrush on it, same for their other parts.

CCR said:
Black Ops brand, the logo will come off in seconds if you use toothpaste and an old toothbrush on it, same for their other parts.

OK, I see that one now, that's around $25. :D

Rat Rod said:
You should be able to buy a vintage Sugino or Takagi crank for $50.

Thanks... wait... that's more! :lol:

Rat Rod said:
You should be able to buy a vintage Sugino or Takagi crank for $50.
Or ashtibula(spelling) are nearly indestructable.
I have had better luck finding the lower end 3 piece cranks such as "Haro Fusion," with spindle for $5.00, or I bought a used(GT from target)bmx for $65.00, robbed the cranks, replaced them with the DYNO 1 piece, sold the GT for 50$

+1 on the Black Ops. I'm running a set of those on one bike, and they're every bit as good as the Redline Chromoly OPC i have on another build. Either one of these are good choices, as far as current-production OPCs go, but the Black Ops OPC is easily found in either chrome or black, and in either 175mm or 180mm versions. The Redlines cost more, and I never see them in 180mm.

hth
-rob

Bicycle808 said:
+1 on the Black Ops. I'm running a set of those on one bike, and they're every bit as good as the Redline Chromoly OPC i have on another build. Either one of these are good choices, as far as current-production OPCs go, but the Black Ops OPC is easily found in either chrome or black, and in either 175mm or 180mm versions. The Redlines cost more, and I never see them in 180mm.

hth
-rob
+2 on the black-ops

I have a chrome 180mm on my bike, it looks good and seems like a very strong, well-made part

Take a look on sidewallactionsports.com, they have 175mm OPC w/ 44t chainwheel for $1.99, yes $1.99. They are take offs from Hoffman bikes. They are located in the open box/ scratched section.

Tim

bikejunky said:
Take a look on sidewallactionsports.com, they have 175mm OPC w/ 44t chainwheel for $1.99, yes $1.99. They are take offs from Hoffman bikes. They are located in the open box/ scratched section.

Tim

to oregon it said shipping was $9, fyi

I'm betting I'm too late then. :cry: My wife hasn't approved me for purchases till Friday. Crap.

I'll give you $12 shipped for yours. :wink:

yoothgeye said:
I'm betting I'm too late then. :cry: My wife hasn't approved me for purchases till Friday. Crap.

I'll give you $12 shipped for yours. :wink:

Oh, naw-I didn't actually go thru with the order. I was thinking I'd do 10 for $20 and be set for life on OPCs... but it said the max available was 1, so I clicked "back" on my browser....

So, as of right now, that crank is still available...i think.

Back