Chrome plating firms

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Who knows any places that will do a nice job plating a frame/fork, with reasonable prices? I don't mind shipping stuff, and will drive to drop-off anywhere within about 100 miles of Phila.

**EDIT I found this place;really cheap, but no testimonials. I've found places that'd want, like, $400 for the job, too... Seemed steep to me.
http://www.qualitychromeplating.com/bicycles.php

Lost track of this thread. Shop was recommended by another Member on RRB. This place has been here in the Quad Cities forever. I'll try to check it out.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67136&p=647842&hilit=Rock+Island#p647842

Bicycle808 said:
Who knows any places that will do a nice job plating a frame/fork, with reasonable prices? I don't mind shipping stuff, and will drive to drop-off anywhere within about 100 miles of Phila.

**EDIT I found this place;really cheap, but no testimonials. I've found places that'd want, like, $400 for the job, too... Seemed steep to me.
http://www.qualitychromeplating.com/bicycles.php

"Cheap" and "chrome plating" do not go well together. You get what you pay for, and quality chrome plating is expensive. I use Proctors in Michigan. Not cheap, but they do top quality work. Gary

Thanks, guys. I'll look into them. does anyone else have any leads?

Found a place in St.Louis called St. Louis Plating; they have a lot of pics/testimonials, and dude quoted me $300 for a 26" frame/fork.... As a guy with ne experience with having things plated, this feels like the sweet spot. $200 seems too cheap, $400 seems to0 expensive, but $300 seems fair. But that's just my gut riffing on hunches.

I understand and respect what you are saying, but, I believe he is offering his opinion on the price. His opinion might differ on the term "Cheap". Sometimes it pays to somewhat prep your own pieces to lessen what the shop has to do. Naturally if you send dirty, greasy, Rusty parts, that means more labor for the shop. Honest shops will charge less if you "Properly" prep your parts. You would need to have an understanding of what is needed before their work can start. It is advisable to research the different steps in the process, so you don't overly prep your pieces. I can go into more detail about
what I mean in another posting. Right now, I gotta go.

B607 said:
"Cheap" and "chrome plating" do not go well together. You get what you pay for, and quality chrome plating is expensive. I use Proctors in Michigan. Not cheap, but they do top quality work. Gary

With most things, I believe in trying to achieve balance. I'm skeptical about a "cheap" chrome-job, but I also want to avoid overpaying at a boutique place that has built enough rep to charge far more for a good job than another equally skilled/thorough (but lesser-known) outfit. I'm looking for a reasonably priced spot that'll do a good job. That being said, I'm not too interested in either the "best" or the cheapest...

Thanks for the referrals, everyone. B607 and DirtNerd, the fact that you've both gone to Proctor's and been satisfied will certainly warrant an inquiry for a quote. Clamdigger, I'm off to check out thechromeshop.com. Thanks. CeeBee, while Chromezilla looks awesome, I'm gonna skip the richie spot. :shock:

I'll take a look too! 5.35 miles and 13 minutes from my house. Relatively painless trip for me. 8) :wink:

Bicycle808 said:
With most things, I believe in trying to achieve balance. I'm skeptical about a "cheap" chrome-job, but I also want to avoid overpaying at a boutique place that has built enough rep to charge far more for a good job than another equally skilled/thorough (but lesser-known) outfit. I'm looking for a reasonably priced spot that'll do a good job. That being said, I'm not too interested in either the "best" or the cheapest...

Thanks for the referrals, everyone. B607 and DirtNerd, the fact that you've both gone to Proctor's and been satisfied will certainly warrant an inquiry for a quote. Clamdigger, I'm off to check out thechromeshop.com. Thanks. CeeBee, while Chromezilla looks awesome, I'm gonna skip the richie spot. :shock:

Latest posts

Back