Chrome Moly SCORE!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just riding through the alleys as I do quite commonly, saw a girl's Roadmaster lawn ornament at a place where they were outside re-doing some roofing so I stopped to ask about it. He said that one's not for sale :cry: but he said he had one in the shed he'd been wanting to get rid of :) . I wait like 10 minutes and I see him carrying this out to me! :shock: I insisted on giving him $5 for it. He said "I like that attitude" and proceeded to tell me there are two more bikes that are older in the attic that were his dad's that I can have too and he'd dig them out as soon as the roof job was done. :D Cha-Ching.... I can't wait. Here's pics of today's score. Also found two like new bike seats at the local thrift store for $2.50 each so I grabbed them both. :mrgreen: Ross Piranha If you know how to date it I'd like to find out what I can about it. Serial # RK5070885
P9060069.jpg

P9060070.jpg

P9060071.jpg

Look at these spokes! They are HUGE!
P9060072.jpg

P9060073.jpg

Seats
P9050068-1.jpg

Anyone know how to date a Ross???

I just came in from cleaning it up and airing the tires. Rode it to the store and got a soda, So many memories flooding back, it's a long frame too so I didn't even have to put the kick back bar on it yet. Rides like a dream.

John c said:
I don't know how to put a date on it but I have the same exact bike. They are pretty cool!
ff738851.jpg

Sweet, what's the other chrome bike in the shot? Wish you were closer, we'd be trading like crazy.... :mrgreen:

If we were that close I'm afraid we'd be fist fighting! LOL. Not really!
That other bike is an old mongoose, but all the chrome peeled right off, it's really strange how bad it peeled, it's a cool bike though.

John c said:
If we were that close I'm afraid we'd be fist fighting! LOL. Not really!
That other bike is an old mongoose, but all the chrome peeled right off, it's really strange how bad it peeled, it's a cool bike though.
Nah I'm easy to get along with and I love trading, If you were closer I'd offer you my trike for that bike just so I'd have a matched set. I've got an old looptail 'goose that had the same chrome peel problem, maybe something in their chrome process that didn't work so well. But anyway I'll probably clean this one up and keep it, I had one when I was a kid and it brings back memories. I'll get bored with it someday then you'll see it in the for sale section....lol

John c said:
I would take your trike for it! Shipping would be a son of a gun!

Yeah especially since the trike part does not come off and the back rims won't come off the axles. Not to mention it's a heavy son of a gun. Heavy duty but heavy.

maddogrider said:

Talk real nice to it maybe give it a bath :lol:

:oops: :lol: Guess I should clarify that, Anyone know how to decode the serial number to figure out the date of manufacture on a Ross Pirahna?

As far as giving it a bath I already sprayed it down with some all purpose cleaner and a shop rag. I'm going to get some more cleaner and some children's toothbrushes and break it down and get everything clean, re-grease the bearings, and polish it up. But right now I'm having too much fun riding it.

Should I leave it original or should I try to find some re-pop decals and do a full restore? The chrome is in great shape. Considering the bike is probably older than I am or close.

outskirtscustoms said:
maddogrider said:

Talk real nice to it maybe give it a bath :lol:

:oops: :lol: Guess I should clarify that, Anyone know how to decode the serial number to figure out the date of manufacture on a Ross Pirahna?

As far as giving it a bath I already sprayed it down with some all purpose cleaner and a shop rag. I'm going to get some more cleaner and some children's toothbrushes and break it down and get everything clean, re-grease the bearings, and polish it up. But right now I'm having too much fun riding it.

Should I leave it original or should I try to find some re-pop decals and do a full restore? The chrome is in great shape. Considering the bike is probably older than I am or close.

Save your money..put it towards better things..LOL
Not to be a wize guy or nothin...

jaydub said:
Save your money..put it towards better things..LOL
Not to be a wize guy or nothin...

I'm only spending a few bucks to clean it a little so I can sell it to finance the better things.

ozzynut2 said:
I have a 1983 Ross Piranha thats all original. I dont know if you have the same bike but I'm sure its about the same year.
IMG_0912.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0916.jpg

I did notice a few differences, mine doesn't have the holes in the fork and rear dropouts for peg mounting. other than that looks pretty close, probably a few years off. What's the serial on yours for comparison?

Ross Piranha If you know how to date it I'd like to find out what I can about it. Serial # RK5070885

not a 100% sure, but it does look like an '85 w/the three holes in the rear dropouts.

might be coded kinda like the old Mongoose frames, which would break down as follows:

R----Ross? or possibly location of manufacture
H----month code? (Nov.?)
5----1985 ?
070885----sequence number?

Maybe someone else knows for sure.

-Paul

sssidewinder said:
Ross Piranha If you know how to date it I'd like to find out what I can about it. Serial # RK5070885

not a 100% sure, but it does look like an '85 w/the three holes in the rear dropouts.

might be coded kinda like the old Mongoose frames, which would break down as follows:

R----Ross? or possibly location of manufacture
H----month code? (Nov.?)
5----1985 ?
070885----sequence number?

Maybe someone else knows for sure.

-Paul

That would be so Awesome! I was born in '85.

When i was in 8th grade I cut grass all summer and bought a used 1986 Ross Pirahna 4130 Chrome Moly frame with Red Anodized components for $90 from a classmate's older brother. My best friend (and eventually Best Man in my wedding) had the exact same bike but chrome with Black parts. I started dabbling in bikes agin a year or so ago and built a 1991 Dyno/GT for my 12 year old son. I have been looking for my old bike ever since and finally bought one this past weekend and paid $150 for it. Tires were dry rotted, frame and rims were rusted and most parts i have either thrown out or have cleaned up and hope to have re-anodized or powder coated soon. The handle bars are a mis-matched set off of a GT so i need to find some original chrome bars. The frame, forks, and rims (red anodized with chrome sidewalls) all cleaned up really nice with a few hours of elbow grease. The nostalgic feeling is great - i'm back in middle school!! :D The serial# on mine is RK4114860 so i assume it is a '86 as well. It has the 3 holes on the front forks and rear dropouts also. It also came with a really nice Kashimax seat but seems to be more orange than red in my opinion so i'm looking to replace it as well. I'm going to buy NOS front/rear brake sets, pedals/cages, and a new chain as well as new Comp III tires. I plan to have the neck, chain ring, seat clamp, and fluted seat post re finished. I'm not sure if "re-anodizing" is an option but i have a friend who told me he is able to get them powder coated and the finish is very similar to the anodized. The seat post is only anodized in the 'grooves' of the post so it appears to be 'striped' or i would simply purchase a red anodized NOS but i have yet to see one like mine and it is exactly like the one i had as a kid. I almost have myself convinced that it 'could be' the same bike...no way!! right? :? Sorry for super long post but i have been waiting to talk to anyone about my new love...my wife just doesn't get it!! Thanks guys and please share anything you can about the beloved Ross Pirahna with me. I'll get pics ASAP.

cool troy, as far as anodizing goes I have had good luck with my method, dip the parts in cheap dollar store draino to remove the anodizing from the parts, after that soak them in baking soda and water solution to neutralize the acid, clean and spray with dulicolor metalcast paint. Works great and looks just like anodizing but at less than half the cost.

Latest posts

Back