Christmas bike for my neighbor cleaned up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted awhile back that I bought this bike for my neighbors wife for Christmas. She likes my old bikes so he asked me to find her one to surprise her. I love seeing the joy on the "little tyke's" face: She's in her 30's! Anyway it cleaned up good and she is really happy. It is the rougher twin to Tin Machines jet pilot. Here are the before and after pics but it doesn't show as good as in real life. Got this one out of the Bike Barn I posted about this summer. Brian

DSC_3454.jpg

DSC_3473.jpg

DSC_3460.jpg

DSC_3464.jpg

DSC_3457.jpg

DSC_3470.jpg

DSC_3455.jpg

DSC_3471.jpg

Why doesn't America still make bikes like this and sell them at department stores for $59.95? :lol: bikes like this were built to last and are what made America great.

Thanks for the comments guys. I like seeing stuff in the rough become new again but with age. As far as cleaning, I learned all that from you all. Mainly disassembled the bike, cleaned with SOS pads (lightly), used WD40 and 0000 steel wool on the chrome. I do the wheels with wd and use brass brushes to get close to the spokes. I found that a regular tooth brush works well to get the inner sides of the hubs when lubed with WD. I use Barkeepers Friend scouring powder on the whitewalls and Macquires tire black on the tires and pedals. Every nut and bolt I take off I run over on my workbench wirewheel just to take the rust off but leave the patina. I like the Turtle wax ICE for wax. I did cheat a little with some chrome spray paint (which really doesn't look chrome) but sprayed onto a rag and wiped onto areas of pot metal like kickstands and fender struts. That actually did really well without looking like cheap silver paint. I am a painter by trade and I have refinished tons of furniture over the years so I find doing this really satisfying . I will post some before pics of some of my new fresh finds that I will start on soon. Thanks again, Brian.

You did a great job on this bike, I'm sure she is extremely pleased with it.

For surface rust, I've had real good luck with a brass "toothbrush" and a pan of diesel fuel.

Harbor Freight sells the brushes for about .49 cents.

tin machine said:
got it from our local bike shop that sears is getting back into the bike business...tin
outskirtscustoms said:
Why doesn't America still make bikes like this and sell them at department stores for $59.95? :lol: bikes like this were built to last and are what made America great.

Cool, can't wait to see what kinds of retro cruisers they come up with. even if they do turn out to be all plastic made in china tank bikes......lol.

Back